The Center for Women in Medicine and Science (CWIMS) administers small awards to Departments and Divisions within the Medical School to promote their ability to promote gender-equitable academic and clinical environments.
Distinguished Women in Medicine and Science Visiting Scholar Award
- Awards are reviewed and granted on a rolling basis via an online application.
- Medical School departments must submit an application (link here) for a Distinguished Women in Medicine and Science Visiting Scholar Award within 120 days prior to the intended scholar visit.
- Typical evaluation and response time is within 2-3 weeks of submission.
- If selected, the department will receive a $500 honorarium to be paid directly to the distinguished visiting scholar
$500 honorarium will be paid directly to the distinguished visiting scholar
Award is available to University of Minnesota Medical School departments
Departments are eligible to receive an award once every 2 years
Visiting scholar is pre-identified and confirmed to be the primary speaker at a prestigious departmental speaking engagement (i.e. grand rounds or the equivalent) at the time of award application
Visiting scholar is distinguished in their field and identifies as a woman
Requirements for Sponsoring Department
The speaking engagement is open to all AHC faculty, staff and students to attend
A CWIMS Career Development Reception will take place during the Distinguished Visiting Scholar’s campus visit in which the visiting scholar will be asked to share her career development and trajectory with medical school faculty. Department administrators must coordinate with CWIMS administrators to schedule and promote the reception
Award Evaluation Criteria
Typical event attendance
Prestige or value of the event within the Medical School and the applying department
Have not received a CWIMS visiting scholar award within the last two years
The Center for Women in Medicine and Science (CWIMS) administers small faculty awards to recognize a faculty member's extraordinary commitment to advancing gender equity and awards for career development training.
CWIMS Leadership Award for Advancing Gender Equity and Inclusion in Medicine and Science Fields
Expand knowledge about and/or opportunities for women, transgender people, and gender non-conforming people in medicine and sciences.
Positively influence the careers of women, transgender people, and gender non-conforming people in medicine and sciences.
Serve in an outstanding and/or leadership capacity within the Center for Women in Medicine and Science.
Provide mentorship to increase the awareness of the need for women, transgender people, and gender non-conforming people in medicine and science
Current University of Minnesota Medical School faculty may be nominates
Recognizes current and/or ongoing work (administrative, educational, research, or service) the bolsters the efforts of the Center for Women in Medicine and Science
- 2021 Rebecca Thomas, MD, MHS and Rebekah Pratt, PhD
- 2020 Sima Patel, MD
- 2019 Anne Joseph, MD, MPH and Jill Siegfried, PhD
UMN Women's Leadership Institute Scholarships
- What kind of leader do you want to be in your current and/or future professional life?
- What do you want to learn about yourself by participating in the Women's Leadership Institute? Please list and explain 2-3 of your learning goals/intentions for the year.
- Describe a leadership role you play in current professional position or in another area of your life.
- Tell us about your work environment. What do you find rewarding about it? What would you change?
- What qualities/background/knowledge would you bring to this diverse cohort of learners?
Save your answers to qualify for the funding opportunity!