The University of Minnesota Medical School is dedicated to providing a high-quality education for students of all backgrounds. Through a variety of services and programs, we aim to give everyone equal access to learning and cultural experiences on and off campus. Read our diversity statement.
This grant mechanism will fund small scalable projects directly impacting the health of our community by reducing the effects of structural and systemic racism, reducing health disparities, improving access to health care, or addressing gaps in healthcare in non-majority community members.
While this an important historical marker of the ending of slavery in the U.S., the fight to end racial injustice and bias has continued in the 155 years since this event. In many ways, Juneteenth represents how freedom and justice in the U.S. has always been delayed for African Americans. Read more.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Activities List
Medical Student Recruitment & Retention
- Office of Admissions
- Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity (OMAD)
- Medical Minority Applicant Registry
- Community Health Initiative (CHI) Scholarships
- The Mary Tate Student National Medical Association Alumni Scholarship
- Empowering Multicultural Students for Careers in Medicine Seminar
- Student National Medical Association (SNMA) Twin Cities Chapter
- Center for American Indian & Minority Health (CAIMH)
- Minnesota Future Doctors (MFD)
- BA/MD Joint Admission Scholars Program
- Native Americans into Medicine (NAM)
- Wiidookodaadiwin Program
- Innovators of the Future Program
- Life Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Program
- Pre-MSTP Summer Research Program
- Maadaadizi Mentors
MD/PhD Recruitment & Retention
- MD/PhD Program
- Biomedical Virtual Grad School Fairs
- Diversity & Inclusion Working Group Mentoring Program
- Association of Multicultural Scientists
- Recruitment of Individuals with Disabilities
Faculty, Administrative Leadership, & Staff Recruitment & Retention
- Office of Faculty Affairs (OFA)
- Recruitment, Retention, & Faculty Lifecycle Toolkits
- CTSI / Medical School Early Career Research Award
- Search Committee & Promotional Implicit Bias Training
- Implicit Bias Workshops
- New Faculty Orientation
- Wellbeing Working Group
- American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC) Leadership Development Seminar Sponsorships
- Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM)
- Medical School Awards Committee
- Women’s Health Research Program (WHRP)
- Health Equity Leadership & Mentoring (HELM) Program
- Community-Engaged Scholarship
- Developmental Educational Scholarship Portfolio
- Dean’s Office Data Dashboards
- University, Peer, & National Organization Representation (PIPSM; NASEM; AAMC GDI)
- Program in Health Disparities Research (PDHR)
- Rapid Response Grant to Reduce Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Healthcare
- Office of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (under development)
- Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee
- Center for Women in Medicine & Science (CWIMS)
- Salary Equity Review Committee (SERC)
- Staff Advancing Diversity & Inclusion Committee (SADI)
- Minneapolis Step Up Program
- University of Minnesota Diversity Community of Practice (DCoP)
Centers & Institutes
- Clinical & Translational Science Institute (CTSI)
- Pathways to Research Program (PReP)
- Pre-K Discovery Scholars Program
- Community Health Collaborative Pilot Grant
- Child Health Collaborative Grant Award
- Community Engagement (CE) Studios
- Researcher-Moms Group
- Masonic Cancer Center
- NCI R25: Minnesota Cancer Research & Teaching Excellence: M-CREATE
- Cancer Disparities Internship
- Institute for Engineering in Medicine (IEM) Inspire Program for High School Students
- Cancer Health Equity Network
- Cancer Disparities Community Pilot Grant
- Cancer Education & Programming
- Community-University Health Care Center (CUHCC)
Medical School students can access disability centers and services at both the Twin Cities and Duluth campuses.
This office works to create a supportive environment for minority and underrepresented medical students.
The Medical School upholds an environment of inclusiveness, equal opportunity, and respect for the similarities and differences in our community.
The Duluth Women’s Mentoring Program was created to advance the professional development of women faculty on the Duluth Campus. Select programs are coordinated with the UMD Swenson College of Science and Engineering Women’s Mentoring Program.
The center strives to raise the health status of the Native American population by educating Native American students in the field of healthcare and Indian health.
The University of Minnesota is strengthened by students representing different races, religions, ethnicities, economic backgrounds, geographic origins, genders, sexualities, and beliefs.
Explore the University's Office for Equity and Diversity website to find services, awards, scholarships, and educational opportunities.
Committed to inclusivity, equity, and multiculturalism, the Office of Cultural Diversity works to develop and implement programs and services that support the retention and graduation of students from all backgrounds.
University facilitates, sustains, and advances a culture that supports equity, inclusion, and community by fostering dialogue, respect, and personal growth. These purposeful activities and shared responsibility provide an environment that allows everyone the opportunity to succeed.