The Medical School's shared governance model is outlined and defined in the constitution and bylaws (See University's College Constitutions & Bylaws site).
This constitution establishes a framework for communication and collaboration among Medical School faculty members, students, professionals-in-training, administrators, and staff members by defining the roles, responsibilities, and organization of these various parties. It gives all members of the Medical School a voice in the affairs of the School, and defines the mechanisms for shared governance.
Visit council and committee webpages via links below.
- Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Council (APTC)
- Clinician Track Promotion Committee (CTPC)
- Promotion and Tenure Committee (PandTC)
- Council of Graduate Students (CGS)
- Department Heads Council (DHC)
- Basic Science Heads Council (BSHC)
- Clinical Science Heads Council (CSHC)
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council (DEIC)
- Duluth Faculty Council (DFC)
- Faculty Advisory Council (FAC)
- Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC)
- Graduate Programs Council (GPC)
- Medical Student Admissions Committee (MSAC)
- Duluth Admissions Committee (DAC)
- Medical Scientist Training Program Steering Committee (MSTPSC)
- Twin Cities Admissions Committee (TCAC)
- Medical Student Education Committee (MSEC)
- Clinical Education Committee (CEC)
- Education Advisory Council (EAC)
- Assessment Committee (AC)
- Duluth Scientific Foundations Committee (DSFC)
- Twin Cities Scientific Foundations Committee (TCSFC)
- Medical Student Scholastic Standing Committee (MSSSC)
- Research Council (RC)
The Faculty Assembly is an integral part of the Medical School. It opens doors for faculty to be engaged in its diverse affairs. Through the Faculty Assembly, faculty work collectively to pursue excellence and achieve the Medical School’s mission: to enhance the health of people by educating skilled, compassionate and socially responsible physicians.
The Faculty Assembly is responsible for all academic affairs and internal policies of the Medical School, including entrance requirements, curricula, instruction, examinations, grading, degrees and disciplinary matters not within the jurisdiction of the All-University Disciplinary Committee.
Meeting at least once a year, the Faculty Assembly also receives reports and recommendations from the various councils and committees established in the Medical School’s constitution and bylaws (See University's College Constitutions & Bylaws site).
Upcoming Faculty Assembly Dates:
- 2023 Faculty Assembly - Thursday, September 7, 12-1pm
Thursday, September 7, 2023
RSVP to receive a calendar invite
Electronic vote will be sent to eligible faculty members following the Faculty Assembly.
Dean Tolar Highlights Presentation
Faculty Assembly Business Items
Faculty Advisory Council Presentation
Committee election ballots were sent electronically following the Faculty Assembly.
2021 Faculty Assembly Notes
State of the Medical School Presentation
Faculty Assembly Business Items
Presentation of Faculty Advisory Council Message
Faculty members elected to councils and committees in the 2021 election are listed in the 2021 Faculty Assembly Election Results
Faculty Advisory Council
A subset of faculty serves on the Faculty Advisory Council. It advises the dean—frequently and often on short notice—on strategic planning, short and long-term goals, Medical School programs and more.
Members of the council are Medical School faculty members from the Twin Cities and Duluth campuses who were elected by their peers to the All-University Senate. Currently, more than 40 faculty from across the Medical School and its affiliates serve on the council.
Through the dean, the Faculty Advisory Council makes recommendations to the Medical School’s Department Heads Council, the Executive Faculty, and/or the Faculty Assembly. The council is responsible for joint consideration and implementation of educational, research and clinical programs. However, the council has no budgetary or fiscal authority, except when granted by the dean.
Council members serve as liaisons between research and clinical faculty and the Medical School leadership. They provide guidance, support and advocacy for the Medical School’s research and clinical missions. In addition, the council guides and advises the dean in these areas:
Developing and implementing short- and long-term goals
Developing methods of advocating for the Medical School in external communities
Providing the vision and support needed to improve the Medical School for its faculty, staff, students and alumni
Monitoring evolving state, national and international healthcare needs and identifying emerging directions for research, educational and clinical programs at the Medical School
Serving as a conduit between the dean and Faculty Advisory Council to each Medical School department
Faculty Advisory Council Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
For questions related to Medical School governance, please reach out to your departmental representative or the chair or vice chair of the Faculty Advisory Council for more information. Members of the Faculty Advisory Council for 2022-23 include:
- Jerica Berge - Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
- Eric Bomberg - Department of Pediatrics
- Christy Boraas - Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Women's Health
- Christina Boull - Department of Dermatology
- Aaron Corfield (DEI Subcommittee Chair) - Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- Marija Cvetanovic - Department of Neuroscience
- Erhan Dincer - Department of Medicine
- Mary Garry - Department of Medicine
- Ryan Hunter - Department of Microbiology & Immunology
- Kristina Krohn (Education Subcommittee Chair) - Department of Medicine
- Christophe Lenglet - Department of Radiology
- Glenn P. Lobo (Research Subcommittee Chair) - Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Neurosciences
- Pawel Mroz - Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
- Shanti Narasimhan - (FAC Vice Chair) - Department of Pediatrics
- Madhuri Rao - Department of Surgery
- Kyriakie Sarafoglou - Department of Pediatrics
- Christopher Staley - Department of Surgery
- Steven Stovitz - Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
- Vishnu Laalitha Surapaneni - Department of Medicine
- Carrie Ann Terrell - (FAC Chair) - Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Women's Health
- John Wagner - Department of Pediatrics
- Alexandra Zagoloff - Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
2022 Recommendations for "What the Medical School Should Look Like Post-COVID" Abridged Version
- Dean's Response to the 2022 Recommendations for "What the Medical School Should Look Like Post-COVID" Abridged Version Report
- 2021-2022 FMLA Protected Leave of Absence & Workplace Accommodations Job Aid
- 2021-2022 Report: Improving Faculty, Student, and Staff Well-Being and Disability Inclusion: Focus on Faculty
- 2021-2022 Report: Improving Faculty, Student, and Staff Well-Being and Disability Inclusion: Focus on UME
- 2021-2022 Report: Improving Faculty, Student, and Staff Well-Being and Disability Inclusion: Focus on GME
- 2021-2022 Report: Disability Inclusion: Credentialing Language Update
2020-2021 Brief Report on Holiday Clinic Operations Policy
2020-2021 Recommendations: What the Medical School Should Look Like Post-COVID