The new constitution and bylaws have been approved and posted on the College Constitutions and Bylaws site.
We are seeking faculty nominations for the following positions:
Appointment, Promotion and Tenure Council (APTC) - 3 elected positions
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council (DEIC) - 5 elected positions
Medical Student Admissions Committee (MSAC) - 15 elected positions
Medical Student Education Committee (MSEC) - 3 elected positions
Medical Student Scholastic Standing Committee (MSSSC) - 3 elected positions
Faculty Senate - 3 open positions remaining to be filled
Deadline extended: Nominations for Governance Committees | Due Aug. 23
We have extended the deadline for open faculty positions on Medical School governance councils and committees, and the Faculty Senate. Please consider volunteering for a position by submitting a short bio and a statement about why you are interested in serving on the committee.
Elected members will serve 3 year terms (terms retroactive to Jul. 1, 2021). Committee information is detailed within the bylaws.
Medical School constitution (approved July 2021)
Medical School bylaws (approved July 2021
These documents will be updated on the University's College Constitutions & Bylaws site.
The Faculty Assembly is an integral part of the Medical School. It opens doors for faculty to be engaged in its diverse affairs. Through the Faculty Assembly, faculty work collectively to pursue excellence and achieve the Medical School’s mission: to enhance the health of people by educating skilled, compassionate and socially responsible physicians.
The Faculty Assembly is responsible for all academic affairs and internal policies of the Medical School, including entrance requirements, curricula, instruction, examinations, grading, degrees and disciplinary matters not within the jurisdiction of the All-University Disciplinary Committee.
2021 Faculty Assembly & Vote
2020 Faculty Assembly & Vote
2019 Faculty Assembly & Vote
Faculty Advisory Council
A subset of faculty serves on the Faculty Advisory Council. It advises the dean—frequently and often on short notice—on strategic planning, short and long-term goals, Medical School programs and more.
Members of the council are Medical School faculty members from the Twin Cities and Duluth campuses who were elected by their peers to the All-University Senate. Currently, more than 40 faculty from across the Medical School and its affiliates serve on the council.
Through the dean, the Faculty Advisory Council makes recommendations to the Medical School’s Department Heads Council, the Executive Faculty, and/or the Faculty Assembly. The council is responsible for joint consideration and implementation of educational, research and clinical programs. However, the council has no budgetary or fiscal authority, except when granted by the dean.
Council members serve as liaisons between research and clinical faculty and the Medical School leadership. They provide guidance, support and advocacy for the Medical School’s research and clinical missions. In addition, the council guides and advises the dean in these areas:
Developing and implementing short- and long-term goals
Developing methods of advocating for the Medical School in external communities
Providing the vision and support needed to improve the Medical School for its faculty, staff, students and alumni
Monitoring evolving state, national and international healthcare needs and identifying emerging directions for research, educational and clinical programs at the Medical School
Serving as a conduit between the dean and Faculty Advisory Council to each Medical School department
For questions related to Medical School governance, please reach out to your departmental representative or the chair or vice chair of the Faculty Advisory Council for more information. Members of the Faculty Advisory Council for 2019-2020 include:
- Jerica Berge - Department of FMCH
- Eric Bomberg, Department of Pediatrics (co-chair)
- Lihsia Chen, Department of Genetics, Cell Biology, and Development
- Aaron Corfield - Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- Marija Cvetanovic - Department of Neuroscience
- Erhan Dincer - Department of Medicine
- Christen Ebens, Department of Pediatrics
- Tim Emory, Department of Radiology
- Mary Garry - Department of Medicine
- Rahel Ghebre, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women’s Health
- Andrew Grande, Department of Neurosurgery
- Ryan Hunter - Department of Microbiology & Immunology
- Kristina Krohn - Department of Medicine
- Christophe Lenglet - Department of Radiology
- Glenn P. Lobo - Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Neurosciences
- Paula Ludewig, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine (co-chair)
- Pawel Mroz, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
- Taj Mustapha - Department of Medicine
- Shanti Narasimhan - Department of Pediatrics
- Elizabeth Neil, Department of Neurology
- Mary Owen, Department of Family Medicine and Biobehavioral Health
- Emilian Racila, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
- Kyriakie Sarafoglou, Department of Pediatrics
- Steven Stovitz - Department of FMCH
- Guisheng Song, Department of Medicine
- Christopher Staley - Department of Surgery
- Clifford Steer, Department of Medicine
- Carrie Ann Terrell - Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Women's Health
- Phu Tran, Department of Pediatrics
- John Wagner - Department of Pediatrics
- Alexandra Zagoloff - Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
MeetingsAll upcoming FAC meetings for the 2020-2021 academic year can be found on the Events and Deadlines page.
ReportsTenure SubcommitteeFAC Diversity/Inclusion Working Group