Our Support Services
- Proposal support. Complete this short online form 8 weeks before the proposal deadline to ensure that we will be able to help with your proposal.
- Work with faculty/staff to search for and identify funding opportunities.
- Train faculty/staff on pre-award processes including the University's Electronic Grants Management System (EGMS) and agency-specific electronic systems.
- Provide resources to aid in the preparation of proposals.
- Communicate U of M and agency policy/procedure changes and assure that researchers are in compliance with U of M and federal research policies.
- Assist with planning and preparation of complex projects such as proposals for training grants, center grants, program project grants, etc.
- Contact funding agency to clarify eligibility, policy, requirements, etc.
- Act as liaison to other departments on multi-department proposals.
- Maintain and provide data on departmental/divisional proposals and awards.
Submitting a Research Proposal?
Complete the proposal intent form 8 weeks before the proposal deadline. Maximum capacity may be reached before the 8 week window, so submit your intent form early. Pre-award staff will then contact you to discuss the proposal preparation process. If you decide to cancel/postpone your submission, a new intent form will need to be completed with any updated information and the revised proposal deadline date.
Frequently Asked Questions
IT'S JUST AN LOI, DO I NEED TO SUBMIT AN INTENT FORM?
If you are submitting a letter of intent (LOI)/pre-proposal, and hope to be invited for a full proposal, you should absolutely fill out the intent form at least 8 weeks before the full proposal is due, to ensure we reserve time to work with you. If you are not invited, we will simply remove it from our calendar.
DO I NEED TO SUBMIT AN INTENT FORM FOR INTERNAL, U OF M PROPOSALS SUCH AS AHC, UMF, CANCER CENTER, ETC.?
No, we are happy to assist you by preparing a budget and PRF (if required) two weeks or more prior to the internal deadline. All other items are prepared and submitted by you or your support staff. Contact the RSS office (email@example.com) for assistance.
DO I NEED TO SUBMIT A FORM FOR A NON-COMPETING PROGRESS REPORT?
No, Research Support Services staff will typically contact you a month or more before this is due and work with you and your accountant to complete it by the deadline.
I WAS ASKED TO SUBMIT A SUBAWARD PROPOSAL TO ANOTHER INSTITUTION AND WAS NOT PROVIDED AN 8-WEEK LEAD TIME. CAN I PARTICIPATE?
Yes, if the lead time is reasonable and the proposal consists of a straight-forward budget, please submit the intent form now and provide the budget details, the contact information for the other institution, and the date they request receipt of a signed proposal. The signing of the PRF and processing time needed by SPA cannot be guaranteed. If lead time is a week or less it may not be possible to meet their deadline.
WHAT IF THE AGENCY ANNOUNCEMENT WAS RELEASED WITH LESS THAN 8 WEEKS BEFORE THE DEADLINE? CAN I STILL SUBMIT A PROPOSAL?
Yes, we will work together to submit a proposal. Research Support Services will adjust the schedule to accommodate the proposal and the PI will adjust his/her schedule to adhere to the required deadlines. (This exception applies to announcements that were released within the 8-week window, not those the PI was unaware of until that time.)
WHAT IF I MISSED THE 8-WEEK WINDOW?
If the agency has another deadline in the next six months, submit the intent form now for the future deadline; Research Support Services staff will contact you well before that date to begin. If this is a one-time opportunity or an annual deadline, submit the intent form now, justify the exception to Dr. Neglia by e-mail, and he will decide if departmental resources will be made available depending on current workload, complexity of your proposal, and previous exceptions granted, if any.