The University of Minnesota recognizes the unique role of primary care and the importance of properly preparing residents with an interest in this particular field. For those residents, we offer a specific pathway in Primary Care Internal Medicine.
Primary care residents will remain integrated into the larger categorical residency program, but they will enjoy an expanded experience in their primary care continuity clinics. Residents will be integrated fully into functioning care teams operating as patient-centered medical homes based at the Minneapolis VA Medical Center.
The Veterans Administration offers extensive resources including a well-developed curriculum in team-based care and an impressive infrastructure that includes collaboration with nurse case managers, pharmacists, psychologists and other professionals to promote and coordinate the highest level of primary care for our patients. In addition to the curriculum offered to categorical residents, participants in the primary care track can expect the following as part of their residency experience:
- Population-based patient management, using evidence-based principles
- Quality improvement in outpatient settings
- Training in advanced communication skills with nationally recognized experts
- Training in common outpatient procedures
- Comprehensive curriculum in primary care topics and team-based care
- Expanded choice of electives related to outpatient primary care (orthopedics, dermatology, office gynecology, mental health, etc.)
- Team-based coordination of comprehensive care
- Personal mentorship by nationally recognized primary care internists
- Opportunity for developing scholarly projects or research with nationally recognized faculty in a large clinical research center
|10||Emergency Medicine||Clinic Immersion||Consult|
- Consult months to include: Endocrinology, Rheumatology, Infectious Disease, Gastroenterology, Nephrology, Pulmonary, Heme/Onc
- Clinic Immersion Months in PGY2 and 3 years would allow time for scholarly or quality improvement projects. If residents want to do research or other rotations outside of what is listed would reduce the clinic immersion months to accommodate.
- Extra continuity clinic days on immersion months. Total of 2 days per week.