Applications are only accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). American medical graduates please contact your medical school Dean's office for a copy of The Student Workstation Manual and the necessary software to submit your application. International medical graduates, please contact ECFMG at P.O. Box 13467, Philadelphia, PA 19104-3467, USA, to request an ERAS application kit.
Completed application via ERAS to include:
- Three letters of recommendation in support of your application from faculty members with whom you have worked
- Dean's letter (We do not require a letter from your department Chair)
- Personal statement
- Curriculum vitae
- Official medical school transcript(s)
- USMLE Step I (and Step II, if available) and/or COMLEX scores (Step II score must be submitted prior to February rank)
- Photograph (requested, but not required)
UMN Recruitment Statement
Residency/fellowship programs select candidates from among eligible applicants based on educational history and performance, relevant board and licensing exam scores, interpersonal skills, and personal attributes, such as integrity and motivation. Personal attributes are evaluated on the basis of applicant references, and, for applicants under serious consideration, through personal interviews.
Whether selected through the NRMP, other appropriate alternative matching programs or outside the match, the Medical School does not discriminate against resident/fellow applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
The Graduate Medical Education Office would like to provide you with information on our institution regarding the terms, conditions and benefits of appointments at our institution and within our GME programs.
Please visit Graduate Medical Education for more information.
International Medical Graduates
International Medical Graduates: please contact the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) for ERAS application materials and eligibility requirements.
Application criteria for our residency program for international medical graduates:
- ECFMG certification (including CSA exam results)
- Completion of USMLE Steps I & II with a score of 77 or higher
- No fail scores on any USMLE Step exam
- Dean's letter from your medical school
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members with whom you have worked
- Six weeks of U.S. clinical experience at one of our affiliate sites in the Twin Cities (no exceptions). An observership does not count towards this clinical requirement.
- J-1 visa (through ECFMG)
- Graduation year evaluated on a case by case basis
Upon email notification, qualified applicants are invited to arrange an interview via Interview Broker. the interview day starts at 7:10 a.m., and ends approximately 4 p.m. There is a casual dinner hosted by current MedPeds residents the night prior to each interview day. UMN MedPeds interviews up to 8 applicants per day.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact:
Med-Peds Residency Program Administrator
Department of Medicine
Office of Medical Education
Postal Address: 420 Delaware Street SE, MMC 913
Physical Address: 401 East River Parkway, Suite 131
Minneapolis, MN 55455
The Department of Medicine-Pediatrics participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). For information please contact: NRMP, 2501 M Street, NW, Suite 1, Washington, DC 20037-1307