Internal Medicine Residency Program
WELCOME TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA MEDICINE RESIDENCY PROGRAM!
We are thrilled that you are interested in our program. At the University of Minnesota, we take pride in our inclusive and supportive learning environment that encourages you to explore all that internal medicine training affords.
Our program provides excellent clinical training, ample research opportunities in both basic science and clinical research with world-renowned faculty, a dedicated quality improvement curriculum, and training pathways targeting residents’ specific career goals. Each of these experiences help our residents to explore their passions and interests and become the clinicians, scientists, and educators they aim to be.
Our residents, faculty, and staff work together in a collaborative, inspiring learning environment. We are advocates for health and equity, in medicine and in life outside the hospital. While our program stands out in many ways, our people, our education, and our drive to discover are exemplary in what they offer to our trainees.
Briar Duffy, MD, MS
Residency Program Director
Stipend & Benefits
- Current Stipends (with increases each year)
- In-state University of Minnesota tuition rates for spouse and immediate family
Educational Allowance of $200.00 in the first year and $600.00 in the second and third years.
- May be used for medical-related expenses including: Books, journal subscriptions, medical software, travel to scientific/medical meetings or conferences
On the Job Benefits
- Embroidered white coat
- Breakfast at IMED (academic half day)
- Vehicle and bike parking at all sites during hospital and clinic rotations
- Meal allowance for on-call days
- Child care centers available at the U of MN and the VA
- On-site resident/fellow fitness facilities at UMMC and Regions Hospital
Off The Job Benefits
- Four weeks flexible vacation each year plus 1 extra week after intern year
- Parental leave: 6 weeks
- Discounted theater, film, and sporting events tickets
- Discounted Metro Transit passes
- Discounted membership to campus recreational facilities
Insurance & Tax Benefits
- Health and dental insurance
- $25,000 life insurance policy
- Long-term disability insurance
- Malpractice insurance at each hospital
- Pre-tax health care reimbursement
- Pre-tax dependent care reimbursement
- 5 days educational leave for CME, conferences and other approved activities
- ACP membership for residents presenting a poster or vignette
- Access to campus libraries
- Internet access and e-mail
- Medline searches, MD Consults, and many other online databases and journals anywhere via the web
For more detailed information please refer to the GME Stipend and Benefits page
Verification of Training
Requests to verify an Internal Medicine resident's training at the University of Minnesota need to be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to the attention of Verification Processing at (612) 625-3238. For verification of subspecialty training, please contact the subspecialty directly.
To verify professional liability insurance information for a former UMN resident or fellow, find instructions on the Medical Malpractice Credentialing/Insurance Verification site.