Clinical Genetics and Metabolism
Catalog Description: This course will be valuable for students interested in any discipline and allows exposure to patients in pediatrics, medicine, and obstetrics/perinatology. The student will build basic genetic skills by participating in the genetics clinic, metabolism clinic, PKU clinic, perinatology clinic, cancer clinic and the molecular diagnostic laboratory at the University of Minnesota Medical Clinics of Minnesota, St. Paul and Minneapolis Campuses and the Minnesota Department of Health.
Students will go to the following sites: FU:
- Clinics and Surgery Center, Endocrine Clinic, Floor 3, 909 Fulton Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
Pediatric Specialty Clinic - Journey, 2450 Riverside Ave, Floor 9, Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Pediatric Specialty Care Explorer Clinic, 2450 Riverside Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55454
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F normal business hours, no overnights or weekends.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Open to student scheduling
Course Objectives: This course helps the student to learn the fundamentals of clinical genetics, including cytogenetics, biochemical genetics, and genetics counseling.
The student will:
- be able to examine a child or adult with dysmorphic features and to accurately record the findings;
- be able to recognize common chromosomal disorders;
- be able to recognize common dominant and recessive gene disorders;
- be able to recognize common birth defects and to understand the genetic implications of these disorders;
- be introduced to the techniques of genetic counseling;
- become familiar with special laboratory tests including chromosome analysis; and
- become familiar with the regular application of genetic principles to the practice of medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, and family practice.
- Clinical assessment by faculty
- 20 minute presentation
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub