Our application deadline is November 1. However, we strongly encourage you to submit your application well in advance of the November 1 deadline. We begin reviewing applications in August and begin interviews in October.
Our supplemental application asks for brief responses to the following questions:
- Please list University of Minnesota faculty members (maximum of 12) you would be interested in potentially working with for your PhD studies in our program. A list of names is sufficient, and they do not need to be in any rank order (300 character limit)
- What area(s) of research are you interested in pursuing during your PhD training? (200 character limit)
- What factors influenced your decision to apply to the University of Minnesota MSTP? (200 character limit)
- Briefly describe any impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on your preparation for MD-PhD training. (500 character limit)
- How does your background (past work, leadership, identity, etc) inform your understanding of systemic oppression and support our existing initiatives in justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion or inform new ones? (700 character limit)
There is no additional fee associated with our supplemental.
Multiple applications to the University of Minnesota Medical School Programs
Applicants who apply to the University of Minnesota MSTP are not eligible to be considered for admission to MD only in the same application year.
Minnesota resident preference
There is no preference for Minnesota residents in the University of Minnesota MSTP. Our students come from all across the United States and Puerto Rico.
MSTP does accept international applicants. International applicants are defined by our program as those who do not hold either U.S. citizenship, permanent residence or other immigrant status. Further information is available here.
You may inquire at any time about the status of your application by contacting us by E-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 612-625-3680.
After your application has been submitted
Applications go through a holistic assessment process and qualified applicants are invited to attend one of our interview days. You can learn more about the qualities of successful MSTP applicants here. If you are invited for an interview, you will receive an E-mail invitation from our Assistant Director.
Apply to the MSTP program after starting medical school
We will consider applications from MD students at the University of Minnesota Medical School. Due to the integrated nature of our training, it is best to apply during your first year of MD training. Please contact the MSTP office by E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 612-625-3680 for additional information.
Apply to the MSTP after starting graduate school
Applications are accepted from students currently enrolled in a PhD graduate program at the University of Minnesota or other US institution. Due to the integrated nature of our training, it is best to apply early in your PhD training, and definitely before you have completed your PhD qualifying examinations. If you are currently in the early stages of PhD training and considering applying to our MSTP, please be aware that you must take the MCAT exam. Please contact the MSTP office by E-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 612-625-3680 for additional information.
All accepted applicants are invited back for a re-visit weekend in April.
Program start timeframe
The program begins in late June with a summer laboratory rotation.