Impact of Covid-19 on application review for the 2020-2021 application cycle
We recognize that Covid-19 has had a significant impact on applicants to MD-PhD programs and will continue to do so. We have provided some information below on common issues. We are monitoring this situation closely and will update information as needed. Please feel free to contact us directly for any additional information you might need.
The University of Minnesota Medical School will accept S/N (commonly referred to as Pass/Fail) grades for courses taken in the Spring and Summer of 2020. We conduct a holistic review of all applications and the academic profile is reviewed in terms of courses taken, grade trends, and final outcomes. We also look at the academic profile in relation to the MCAT total and sub-scores.
Letters of Recommendation
We will continue to take both committee and individual letters. The MSTP Steering Committee does not place greater weight on one over the other.
The University of Minnesota MSTP will accept applications from candidates facing challenges securing an MCAT test date due to COVID-19. For these candidates we will make interview decisions based on all other information in your application file. Final admissions decisions will require an MCAT test score that meets the minimum requirement set forth by each program. The last test date we will accept is September 28, 2020.
We recognize that for many applicants Spring and Summer 2020 research experiences have been or will be cancelled, shortened, or adjusted. The MSTP Steering Committee will take the impact of COVID-19 into consideration and remain flexible when reviewing this and other aspects of the applicant file.
The University of Minnesota MSTP will host virtual interviews only for Cycle 2021. More information will be provided to candidates at a later date.
Application procedure for the University of Minnesota MSTP
We welcome your application to the University of Minnesota’s MSTP (MD/PhD). Follow these steps to submit an application:
- Complete the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) no later than September 30 of the year you wish to apply. MCAT scores more than three years old are not acceptable.
- Verify that you will have completed all course prerequisites prior to your intended matriculation date. If there are courses that you have not yet completed, create a time table for satisfying these requirements.
- Complete and submit your medical school application via AMCAS: Applications are open between June 1 and November 15 for a matriculation date in late June/early July of the following summer. To complete the application you will need:
- MCAT Scores
- Academic Transcript
- Personal Statement
- MD/PhD Statement
- Significant Research Experience Statement
- Biographical Information
- Official Transcripts
- Four letters of recommendation OR one committee packet. At least one letter must be from a research advisor
- Select applicants will be invited to complete a brief supplemental application. There is no fee to associated with the supplemental application
The application deadline is November 15. However, decisions regarding interviews and admissions are made on a rolling basis. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to complete their applications early.
Completed applications are forwarded to our office upon final verification by AMCAS. Our office may contact you with a request for additional information.
Click here to learn more about our evaluation process.
Applicants who apply to the University of Minnesota MSTP are not eligible to be considered for admission to MD only in the same application year. Individuals interested in applying for MD only may reapply in the next application year. Applicants can apply a total of three times to the MSTP or MD program, and there is a waiting period of one year (one admission cylce) between the second and third applications. The second and third applications must be significantly different from the previous one(s). Applicants also need to follow the Medical School guidelines on reapplication found on the Medical School admissions website.
NOTE: Do not assume that your file is complete until you have received notification from the MSTP office. If you feel that you have completed all of the requirements for application but have not received notification from the Program, please contact us via telephone at 612-625-3680 or email email@example.com.