Manda L. Keller-Ross, PhD, DPT, PT
Assistant Professor, Division of Physical Therapy
Assistant Professor, Division of Physical Therapy
Assistant Professor, Division of Rehabilitation Science
Post-doctoral Fellow, Mayo Clinic (Cardiovascular Diseases), 2012-2015
PhD, Marquette University (Integrative Neuromuscular Physiology, Exercise Physiology), 2011
BS, University of Minnesota (Kinesiology), 2002
DPT, Marquette University (Physical Therapy), 2006
Awards & Recognition
- Mechanisms of exercise intolerance in patients with hypertension and cardiovascular diseases.
- Neuromuscular limitations that contribute to skeletal muscle fatigue and central inhibition in cardiovascular diseases.
- Novel therapeutic strategies to treat musculoskeletal myopathies and reduce muscle fatigue in adults with heart failure.
- The contribution of locomotor muscle afferents (group III and IV) to central drive and cardiorespiratory responses during exercise in both healthy adults and those with heart failure.
- Interventions to reduce blood pressure and ventilation and improve exertional symptoms during exercise in chronic illnesses.
- Use of neuromodulation to reduce blood pressure in patients with hypertension and heart failure.
- Keller-Ross ML, Chantigian DP, Rich TL, Chen M, Chen CY, Gillick BT. Stability of the cardiovascular response during single-pulse TMS in perinatal stroke. Brain Stimul. (2018) Nov 20. pii: S1935-861X(18)30376-0. doi: 10.1016/j.brs.2018.11.010.
- Keller-Ross, ML, Sarkinen, AL, Chantigian, DP, Cross, TJ, Johnson, BD, Olson, TP. Interaction of Chemoreflex and Ergoreflex during Dynamic Exercise in Healthy Adults. (2018). Translational Sports Med. doi.org/10.1002/tsm2.60.
- Keller-Ross, ML, Chantigian, Dl, Evanoff, N, Bantle, Anne, Dengel, Donald, Chow, Lisa (2018). VE/VCO2 slope in Lean and Overweight Women and Its Relationship to Lean Leg Mass. Int J Cardiol Heart & Vasculature.
- Ann Van de Winckel, Yu-Ting Tseng, Daniel Chantigian, Kaitlyn Lorant, Zinat Zarandi, Jeffrey Buchanan, Thomas A. Zeffiro, Mia Larson, Becky Olson-Kellogg, Jürgen Konczak, Manda L. Keller-Ross (2017). Age-Related Decline of Wrist Position Sense and its Relationship to Specific Physical Training. Front Hum Neuroscie.;11:570.
- Wheatley, Courtney M., Baker, Sarah E, Taylor, Bryan J, Keller-Ross, Manda L. Chase, Steven C, Carlson, Alex R., Wentz, Robert J. Snyder, Eric M, Johnson, Bruce D. Influence of Inhaled Amiloride on Lung Fluid Clearance in Response to Normobaric Hypoxia in Healthy Individuals. (2017) High Altit Med & Biol.; 18:4: 343-354.
- Keller-Ross, ML, Cowl, A, Cross, TJ, Johnson, BD, Olson, TP. (2016). Ventilation Increases with Lower Extremity Venous Occlusion in Young Adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 48 (3): 377-383.
- Keller-Ross, ML, Johnson.BD, Carter, R, Joyner, MJJ, Eisenach, J, Curry, T, Olson, TP. (2015). Improved Ventilatory Efficiency with Locomotor Muscle Afferent Inhibition is Strongly Associated with Leg Composition in Heart Failure. Int J Cardiol, 202: 159-166.
- Cross TJ, Keller-Ross ML, Issa A, Wentz R. Taylor B, Johnson B. (2015). The impact of averaging window length on the desaturation indexes obtained via overnight pulse oximetry at high altitude. Sleep, 38(8): 1331-1334.
- Keller-Ross ML, Joyner, MJ, Johnson, BD, Olson, TP.(2014) Influence of the metaboreflex on arterial blood pressure in heart failure patients. Am Heart J, 167(4):521-8.
- Keller-Ross ML, Pruse, J, Yoon T, Schlinder-Delap B, Harkins, A & Hunter SK. (2014) Stress- Induced increase in muscle fatigability of young men and women is predicted by strength but not voluntary activation. J Appl Physiol, 116(7):767-768.
- Keller-Ross ML, Schlinder-Delap B, Doyel, R, Larson, G & Hunter SK. (2014) Muscle fatigability is greater in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 46(7):1302-13.
- Yoon T, Schlinder-Delap B, Keller ML & Hunter SK (2011b). Supraspinal fatigue impedes recovery from a low-intensity sustained contraction in old adults. J Appl Physiol 112, 849- 858.
- Keller ML, Pruse, J, Yoon T, Schlinder-Delap B, Harkins, A & Hunter SK (2011). Supraspinal Fatigue in men and women during a low force fatiguing contraction. Med Sci Sports Exerc.43, 1873-1883.
- Pereira H, Keller ML (2011). Understanding the mechanisms of neuromuscular fatigue with paired- pulse stimulation. J Physiol 589 (Pt 14), 3533-3544.
- Hoeger Bement M, Weyer A, Keller, ML, Harkins AL, Hunter SK (2010) Anxiety and stress can predict pain perception following a cognitive stress. Physiology & Behavior 101: 87-92.
- Yoon T, Keller ML, Delap BS , Harkins A, Lepers R, & Hunter SK (2009). Sex differences in response to cognitive stress during a fatiguing contraction. J Appl Physiol: respiratory, environmental and exercise physiology 107: 1486-1496.
- Hoeger-Bement M, Rasiarmos R, DiCapo R, Lewis A, Keller ML, Harkins A, Hunter S (2009). The Role of the Menstrual Cycle Phase In Pain Perception Before and After an Isometric Fatiguing Contraction. Eur J Appl Physiol 106: 105-112. (PMID:19189119).