Education and Resources
Educational and Professional Development Opportunities
- From Transaction to Transformation: A professional development learning journey for community-engaged leaders and learners
- Discussing and presenting health topics through the media and performing arts:
- Mentorship for youths who are underserved with limited access to health care and are interested in healthcare careers (The Ladder)
- Care at community clinics and as part of community initiatives:
- Central Clinic
- HOPE Clinic
- Phillips Neighborhood Clinic
- Minneapolis School-Based Clinics
- Northside Neighborhood Achievement Zone
- Medical care for those who are unhoused:
Journal Articles and Reference Lists
Chicago Beyond. Why am I always being researched: a guidebook for community organizations, researchers, and funders to help us get from insufficient understanding to more authentic truth. Chicago Beyond; 2018.
Falkenburger E, Arena O, Wolin J. Trauma-Informed Community Building and Engagement. Urban Institute. April 2018. Accessed April 9, 2021. https://www.urban.org/research/publication/trauma-informed-community-building-
Holley K. The principles for equitable and inclusive civic engagement: a guide to transformative change. Ohio State University, The Kirwan Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnicity, 2016. http://kirwaninstitute.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/ki-civic-engagement.pdf
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Principles of community engagement (2nd ed.). CDC/ATSDR Committee on Community Engagement. NIH Publication No. 11-7782. June 2011.
Tamarack Institute. Index of community engagement technique organized by engagement level: inform, consent, involve, collaborate, empower. https://www.tamarackcommunity.ca/library/index-of-community-engagement-techniques
- University of Oregon-Division of Equity and Inclusion
- Ahmed SM, Neu Young S, DeFino MC, Franco Z, Nelson DA. Towards a practical model for community engagement: Advancing the art and science in academic health centers. J Clin Transl Sci. 2017 Oct;1(5):310-315. doi: 10.1017/cts.2017.304. Epub 2017 Dec 28. PMID: 29707251; PMCID: PMC5915810.
- Ahmed SM, Palermo AG. Community engagement in research: frameworks for education and peer review. Am J Public Health. 2010 Aug;100(8):1380-7. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2009.178137. Epub 2010 Jun 17. PMID: 20558798; PMCID: PMC2901283.
- Noel L, Phillips F, Tossas-Milligan K, Spear K, Vanderford NL, Winn RA, Vanderpool RC, Eckhardt SG. Community-Academic Partnerships: Approaches to Engagement. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2019 Jan;39:88-95. doi: 10.1200/EDBK_246229. Epub 2019 May 17. PMID: 31099695; PMCID: PMC6543849.
Community Engagement and Cultural Competency Frameworks and Toolkits
- University of Minnesota - JEDI Education and Learning
- Diverse Educators - Cultural Intelligence Toolkit
- University of Kansas - KU CSL Community Engagement Toolbox
- American Hospital Association - New IFDHE toolkit addresses cultural humility training
- North Carolina State University - Cultural Competency Toolkit