The Department of Family Medicine and Community Health is active at all levels of medical student education.
We offer interdisciplinary educational experiences with five other health science schools as well as access to cutting-edge research and the world-renowned University of Minnesota Medical Center.
Family medicine faculty from the Twin Cities campus direct the following educational offerings:
- Essentials of Clinical Medicine - required for medical students years 1 and 2
- Family Medicine Clerkship - required for medical students years 3 and 4 participating in their clinical curriculum
UMN medical students receive the opportunity to apply for or enroll in the following clerkships. Completion of any of these experiences fulfills the Family Medicine Clerkship requirement.
UMN Rural Physician Associate Program (RPAP)
- Nine-month, internationally renown rural educational opportunity for UMN third-year medical students
- Learn more about the Rural Physician Associate Program
UMN Metropolitan Physician Associate Program (MetroPAP)
- Nine-month longitudinal elective immersing UMN third-year students in the care of an urban, underserved population
- Broadway Family Medicine Clinic, the clinic of our North Memorial residency program, is one of the clinic sites
- Learn more about the Metropolitan Physician Associate Program
Urban Community Ambulatory Medicine (UCAM)
- Twelve-week urban medicine clerkship for UMN third- or fourth-year students
- Learn more about Urban Community Ambulatory Medicine
- Addiction and substance use
- Cardiovascular medicine
- Community health
- Family medicine research
- Healthcare for the underserved
- Human sexuality research
- Palliative Medicine and Hospice
- Rural medicine care
- Sexual problems in clinical medicine
- Sports medicine
Many of our clinical electives are available to visiting students. Elective rotations will be offered to visiting students following the close of our medical school’s registration dates.
Family Medicine Electives available to Visiting Students include:
Please visit the Medical School’s Visiting Students page for more information on student eligibility and application process.