Dates: March 3, 2022, 8 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
October 6, 2022, 8 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: MSim Center on East Bank
Family Medicine POCUS serves as an introduction to family medicine ultrasound. Participants learn and practice techniques through lecture and hands-on training taught by faculty.
- Learning Objectives
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)
- Focused assessment with sonography in trauma (FAST)
- Interactive problems (cases)
Registration is for non-University of Minnesota family medicine residents, medical students, and community physicians or healthcare professionals. Fees include tuition, syllabus, parking, and lunch.
Heidi Cerdas Monge, MBA, 612-625-0953, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Select correct settings/probe for use in identifying superficial structures
- Find and describe objects in phantom
- Calculate volume of objects in phantom
Lung Ultrasound & DVT
- Learn probe placement and settings to acquire thoracic ultrasound images for possible diagnosis of interstitial syndrome, pleural effusion, and pneumothorax
- Describe thoracic ultrasound images in interstitial syndrome, pleural effusion, and pneumothorax
- Identify and describe lung sliding, lung pulse, and lung point
- Apply knowledge of congenital anomalies to identify abnormal ultrasound images
- Evaluate clinical cases and suggest management strategies
- Maintain activation of the Reticular Activating System
FAST & AAA Exams
- List the indications and limitations for the FAST (Focused Assessment with Sonography for Trauma) and AAA (Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm) exams
- State the technique for the FAST and AAA exams
- Demonstrate proper technique for the FAST and AAA exams
- Show normal and abnormal finds of the FAST and AAA exams
- Practice FAST and AAA exams on course participants
Photo & Video Release
We may take photos and/or videos of instructors and learners at our programmatic courses, and these may appear in the department’s and/or University of Minnesota’s marketing and promotional materials (e.g., brochures, posters, social media, websites, etc.). Your attendance constitutes your permission and consent for photography and video subsequent usage. If you do not want to be photographed or filmed, please let us know by contacting Heidi Cerdas Monge, MBA, 612-625-0953, email@example.com.