Woodwinds Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program* is a vibrant group of physicians, dedicated to learning and serving the community.
We have a busy clinical practice, caring for diverse ethnicities, ages, and pathologies in the Frogtown neighborhood of St. Paul, two blocks from the Capitol.
Woodwinds hospital is located in the East Metro and offers a mix of a community hospital and tertiary referral center, affording residents opportunities to treat and prevent the full spectrum of medical pathologies.
We seek residents who are excited to train in both an urban clinic and suburban hospital setting and dedicated to family medicine.
*The Woodwinds Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program was formerly known as the St. Joseph's Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program. The name was changed in 2021 to reflect our move to the Woodwinds Hospital.
WHERE WE PRACTICE
M Health Fairview Clinic - Bethesda
- High patient volume with largely underserved and ethnically diverse populations
- Over 70 percent of our patients are on state insurance and around 40 percent have limited English proficiency
- Partner with the Minnesota Department of Health on refugee medicine
- Hands-on training for in-office procedures
- A certified health care home in St. Paul
- Located two blocks from the Capitol building
Integrated healthcare team on-site
- Clinical psychology and psychiatry teams
- Pharmacists co-precept residents and consult on medications
- Community physicians and former graduates precept with core faculty
- Registered nurses perform phone triage, coordinate OB patient visits, and provide diabetic education
- Healthcare-legal partnership with Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLS) to address the legal needs that present health equity barriers to patients
- In-person interpreters available in our patients' most common languages
- Two full-time social workers
- 27 spacious exam rooms with access to electronic medical records
- Procedure rooms for ultrasound, long-acting reversible contraception insertion and removal, suturing, casting, biopsies, dermatology procedures, and osteopathic manipulations
- Spacious residents’ workroom and preceptor area
- X-ray and lab
- Only residency at the hospital
- Specializes in maternity care and orthopedic surgery
- Location for all inpatient rotations
- Complimentary food and brand-new spacious call rooms
- Learn more about Woodwinds Hospital
St. Joseph's Hospital
Our clinic is located in an inner city neighborhood called Frogtown, one of the most diverse areas in St. Paul and home to most of our patients. It was coined as such due to the marshy environment of the area and subsequent plethora of frogs in the late 1800s when people began settling here.
Since its inception, Frogtown has been home to several different immigrant and refugee populations including Polish, Irish, German, Scandinavian, and more recently, Southeast Asian, Latino, and East African. Frogtown also includes the Rondo neighborhood, which is a prominent Black neighborhood that was fragmented to build I-94.
- Active management of labor for high risk OB population
- Weekly didactic conferences covering a broad range of topics
- Comprehensive internal medicine training with ICU experience
- Well-established elective opportunities
- Global health opportunities
- Longitudinal community health curriculum
Apply, benefits, and residency resources
- How to apply
- Resident stipends and benefits
- Woodwinds Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program fact sheet
- 2020-2021 Woodwinds Residency Program Policy and Procedure Manual
- University of Minnesota Graduate Medical Education Institution Manual
- Support resources for residents (including mental health resources, well-being tools, work/life balance, and more)