Tuition Information

Minnesota Residency Requirements

Residency requirements are established by the University of Minnesota Residency Office. The Residency Office can be reached by phone at 612-625-6330 or 1-800-752-1000.

Tuition & Fees

Tuition for the 2023-2024 academic year is $9,163 per semester for Minnesota residents with reciprocity for North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin residents and $10,500 per semester for out-of-state residents. Tuition is charged at a flat rate for three semesters each year: summer, fall, and spring, for a total of nine semesters.

  • Total in-state & reciprocity tuition: $82,467
  • Total out-state tuition: $94,500

Tuition is not inclusive of required medical insurance and other University and student fees. The Sample Cost Sheet linked below gives a breakdown of costs each semester, including University fees. See additional University student fee information.

Sample Cost Sheet

CAPTE Student Financial Cost Sheet

Financial Aid FAQs

1. Are there differences between financial aid options at the undergraduate and graduate school levels?  If so, what are they?

Yes. A graduate student is only eligible for financial aid in the form of federal student loans. There are 2 types of loans: Unsubsidized Loan and Graduate Plus Loan. The Unsubsidized Loan is usually the more favorable loan because it usually has a lower interest rate and origination fee. There is an annual limit of $20,500 on the Unsubsidized Loan with a lifetime limit of $138,500 (no more than $65,000 in the Subsidized Loan from an undergraduate borrowing can be included in the Unsubsidized lifetime borrowing limit). The Graduate Plus Loan usually has a higher interest and origination fee. There is no an annual loan limit; a student can be offer up to their cost of attendance, however, the Graduate Plus Loan requires a credit check.


2. Does the U of M help students find employment?

There is a Career Services office on campus that will help students find employment. They serve all U of M undergraduate, graduate, professional, and alumni students.


3. Are there any tips or advice when it comes to filling out the FAFSA for graduate school?

 The FAFSA becomes available on Oct 1st of every year. Instead of rushing to get it submitted, I would suggest students keep that date in mind and file as soon as they can, but make sure their taxes (from 2 years ago) is already filed and completed first.


4. How do outside scholarships or financial assistance (like the GI Bill) affect financial aid?

Scholarships are considered financial aid whether they are internal or external. They all count toward the Cost of Attendance (COA). Under federal regulations, a student cannot be offered aid beyond their COA. If a student receives aid up to their COA, and then is offered a scholarship, their federal aid will be replaced by that scholarship amount.

A COA is a standard budget that every student gets based on what program they are studying in. The COA consists of 6 components: tuition & fees, room & board, books & supplies, transportation, personal misc. and loan fees.

As far as the GI Bill goes, there is another office on campus, Veteran Services, which can answer questions related to that topic. Veteran services counselors are also financial aid counselors who can access your financial aid offers.