Course is postponed; rescheduled dates will be posted when available.
Sports Medicine I offers participants lectures and hands-on training in basic musculoskeletal assessments. Participants can strengthen their skills in sports medicine and gain confidence treating common injuries they may see in clinic.
- Learning Objectives
- Injuries and exams of the knee, shoulder, foot, and ankle
- Principles of rehabilitation
- Case studies
Registration is for non-University of Minnesota family medicine residents, medical students, and community physicians or healthcare professionals. Fees include tuition, syllabus, parking, and lunch.
Heidi Cerdas Monge, MBA, firstname.lastname@example.org
Knee Exam & Injuries
- Identify important structures in the anatomy of the knee
- Interpret the role of swelling, locking, and instability in the history of knee pain
- Demonstrate knee exams: the McMurray’s test and the Lachman’s test
Foot & Ankle Exams & Injuries
- Summarize basic biomechanics
- Evaluate benefits and limitations of orthotics and athletic shoe wear
- Demonstrate ankle and foot examinations
- Diagnose common ankle problems
- Recognize common foot problems
Shoulder Exam & Injuries
- Describe basic shoulder anatomy
- Perform a thorough shoulder examination
- Summarize the role of the scapula in shoulder function
Soft Tissue Injury & Principles of Rehabilitation
- List the general consequences of soft tissue and joint injury
- Direct an immediate management plan for acute injury
- Coordinate an extended management plan for injury
- Develop a return to practice and competition protocol for athletes following injury
- Describe the science of physical therapy modalities and interventions
Photo & Video Release
We may take photos and/or videos of instructors and learners at our programmatic courses, and these may appear in the department’s and/or University of Minnesota’s marketing and promotional materials (e.g., brochures, posters, social media, websites, etc.). Your attendance constitutes your permission and consent for photography and video subsequent usage. If you do not want to be photographed or filmed, please let us know by contacting Heidi Cerdas Monge, MBA, 612-625-0953, email@example.com.