2020 Stipend Rates
First year: $57,156
Second year: $58,915
Third year: $61,000
The following is a list of benefits for the eight University of Minnesota family medicine residency programs.
Duluth, Methodist, and St. Cloud benefits may vary. Contact the program directly for specifics.
INSURANCE AND HEALTH COVERAGE
For more information, please see University of Minnesota Office of Student Health Benefits.
- Health insurance
Resident and family coverage available through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota. Automatic emergency travel assistance. Available on first day of orientation.
- Flexible spending account
Eligible for pre-tax health care and dependent care reimbursement.
- Dental insurance
Available for residents and family members.
- Life insurance
Group term provided at no cost. Additional coverage available.
- Disability (short- and long-term)
Up to $5,000 covered per month during residency at no charge. Loan payoff if disabled during residency. May enroll in guaranteed coverage until age 67 for up to $10,000 per month, regardless of pre-existing condition.
- Malpractice insurance
Coverage provided for activities within the course and scope of resident duties at no cost.
PAID TIME OFF (PTO) AND LEAVES
- Paid time off (PTO)
Twenty-one days per contract year. These days are designed to cover vacations, unexpected absences such as health leave, funeral/bereavement leave, and practice search.
- Parental leave
Six weeks paid parental leave (may vary per program).
- Miscellaneous leave
Extended periods of leave available at program director’s discretion. Any leave may extend residency and postpone board eligibility.
Residents are eligible to enroll in two plans:
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND CONTINUING EDUCATION
Business expense allowance reimbursement fund
- Up to $1,000 reimbursement per year for conference expenses, medical association memberships, web-based courses, clinical textbooks and medical journals, and educational or clinical software.
Continuing medical education
- Three to five days per year at program director’s discretion
- Reimbursement for the USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX-USA Level 3 exams if taken during residency
Department grand rounds
- Topics of relevance to family medicine presented in an academic context
- View our grand rounds schedule
Life support courses
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Basic Life Support
- Neonatal Resuscitation
- Two- to six-week elective—may be taken by residents who have a child born or adopted during residency
- We sponsor a variety of hands-on, one- to two-day programmatic courses. Topics include obstetrics, sports medicine, leadership and finance, sexual medicine, and more. Some are required for residents to take and others are optional.
- Elective curricular experience where residents participate in international experience
Fellowship opportunities after residency
- Sports medicine, occupational medicine, hospice and palliative medicine, geriatrics, addiction medicine, sleep medicine training in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area
- Obstetrics (Duluth) and geriatrics (Rochester) training in Greater Minnesota
- Fogarty Global Health Fellowship
Faculty development programs
Residents who join our faculty after residency can benefit from the following training programs:
RESEARCH AND SCHOLARSHIP
- Top National Institutes of Health-funded family medicine department
- Member of Family Physicians Inquiries Network Consortium
- Minnesota Academy of Family Physicians grants: Innovation Grants for Residents ($1,000) and Resident Research Grants ($3,000)
- Evaluation and Statistics Hub developed by our research staff
- Access to the University of Minnesota's Medical Education Outcomes Center (MEOC)
- Learn more about our research area
RESIDENT WELL-BEING RESOURCES
PRACTICE-RELATED BENEFITS AND REIMBURSEMENTS
- Fee reimbursed during residency
- Permit and licensure application fee paid during residency
- $1,000 paid for relocation expenses
- Lab coats provided
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA PERKS
A U Card is required to access some of these benefits. It is your official University of Minnesota ID.
- University Recreation and Wellness Center at student membership rates
Resource for global information, innovation, and collaboration
- Global Programs and Strategy Alliance is the central international office and resource for travel abroad
- Receive discounted tickets for some University of Minnesota sports, theater, and cultural events
LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAMS
Eligibility while in residency is contingent on state funding and clinic location.
University of Minnesota Medical School Diversity and Inclusion
The University of Minnesota Medical School is dedicated to providing a high-quality education for students of all backgrounds. Learn about programs leading diversity and inclusion