Sports Medicine Fellowship Faculty
420 Delaware St, MMC 381
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Suzanne Hecht, MD, is faculty in the University of Minnesota Program in Sports Medicine and directs the University of Minnesota Sports Medicine Fellowship. She sees patients at University of Minnesota Physicians Sports Medicine Clinic and has a Certificate of Added Qualifications in sports medicine and certification in clinical densitometry. Dr. Hecht also teaches residents in sports medicine workshops and provides training room and sideline care to University of Minnesota athletes as well as the USA Gymnastics and US Figure Skating teams.
Bone health and nutrition in the female athlete
Injuries in gymnasts
She currently serves as a team physician for University of Minnesota athletics, US Figure Skating, and is a member of the USA Gymnastics National Healthcare Referral Network.
Rahul Kapur, MD, CAQSM, is faculty at the University of Minnesota St John's Hospital Family Medicine Residency. He came to the Twin Cities from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA where he served as Fellowship Director for the Penn Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship from 2010-2018. He served as Chief Medical Physician for Penn Athletics from 2007-2018 and currently is a team physician for US Lacrosse.
Non-operative musculoskeletal medicine including concussion management; running medicine; pre-participation physicals; and exertional compartment testing
Family Medicine and Sports Medicine
Dr. Nelson is an associate professor in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery. His clinical interests include sports medicine, ACL injuries and reconstructions, revision ACL reconstructions, articular cartilage injuries, meniscal injuries and transplants, shoulder instabilities, arthroscopic shoulder surgery, and arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs. He also practices at TRIA Orthopedic Center.
- Sports Medicine
Awards & Recognition
- Best Doctors in America®: 2011-2012, 2013
- Mpls St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctor:" 2012, 2014-2015, 2020, 2021
- U.S. News & World Report Top Doctor: 2012
- "Best Doctors for Women," Minnesota Monthly: 2014
- Minnesota Monthly "Top Doctors:" 2014, 2020, 2021
- The Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons (2013-present)
- NHL Team Physician Society, Director of Education (2018-present)
- American Orthopaedic Association (2008-present)
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Association (2008-present)
- International Soc. of Arthroscopy Knee Surgery & Ortho Sports Med (ISAKOS) (2006-present)
- European Meniscal Transplant Group (2006-present)
- International Cartilage Research Society (2002-present)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (2001-present)
- Orthopaedic Research Society (2000-present)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (1999-present)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (1999-present)
- Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons (1994-present)
- Staff Physician – Children's Hospital
- Medical Director – TRIA Research and Education Institute
- Medical Director – University of Minnesota Athletics
University of Minnesota
Department of Orthopedic Surgery
2450 Riverside Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55454
- ACL clinical outcomes
- Pediatric/Adolescent ACL injuries
- Cartilage restoration outcomes
- Shoulder instability
- Rotator cuff clinical outcomes
- Athletic Injuries
My special interests are the knee and shoulder which include: shoulder instabilities, shoulder surgery, arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs, ACL injuries, meniscal and articular cartilage injuries. I have a passion for sports, especially hockey, and I am excited to bring that into my practice.
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery- Sports Medicine;
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Shoulder instability; Arthroscopic shoulder surgery and rotator cuff repair; Articular cartilage injuries; ACL injuries and reconstructions; Meniscal injuries and transplantation
University of Minnesota Health Maple Grove Clinics; University of Minnesota Medical Center
Olson is an associate director of the University of Minnesota Sports Medicine Fellowship and directs the sports medicine curriculum at the University of Minnesota North Memorial Hospital Family Medicine Residency. He enjoys providing team care for high school, college, and professional sports teams, including the Minnesota Vikings, University of Minnesota Gophers, Minneapolis Community and Technical College, and Roseville Area High School.
Sports medicine, team coverage, adolescent medicine, community outreach, concussion management, and ultrasound guided injections.
Fellowships, Residencies, and Visiting Engagements
Licensures and Certifications
Edward Smith, DO, is faculty in the University of Minnesota Program in Sports Medicine. He sees patients at M Health Fairview Sports Medicine Clinic, M Physicians Broadway Family Medicine Clinic, and M Health Fairview Clinic - Bethesda. He has a Certificate of Added Qualifications in Sports Medicine and clinical interest in fitness and nutrition and overuse injuries in the recreational athlete.
- Sports medicine
- Family medicine