We offer robust training in inpatient medicine, obstetrics, and clinic-based care.
The clinic is located in a diverse, urban neighborhood in St. Paul. Patients include a well-established, ethnically diverse population, ranging from newborn to geriatric age.
M Health Fairview St. John’s Hospital is a community-based, award-winning hospital. Family medicine is well respected and vital to the hospital’s success. The busy emergency room, ICU, and OB service complement the in-depth teaching services in internal medicine, newborn pediatrics, and general surgery.
Each academic class includes six residents. The program has filled in the National Resident Matching Program every year since 1990.
- Inpatient medicine, OB, and clinic-based care
- Electives in rural family medicine, C-section training, sports medicine, and colonoscopy training
- Opportunities to tailor training to personal interests
- Autonomy on rotations
Apply, benefits, and residency resources
- How to apply
- Resident stipends and benefits
- St. John's residency fact sheet
- St. John’s Residency Program Policy and Procedure Manual
- University of Minnesota Graduate Medical Education Institutional Policies
- Support resources for residents (including mental health resources, well-being tools, work/life balance, and more)
St. John's Medical Student Opportunities
Many applicants have found rotations helpful in determining whether the program is a good fit for them because rotations provide a more substantial experience than an interview allows for.
Medical students spend half of the rotation paired with faculty physicians providing care to their regular panel of patients. The rest of the time, students are matched with residents providing care to same-day or open access patients. Other residents in clinic may also share interesting cases as time allows.
Where We Practice
Learn more about where we practice and our community.
M Health Fairview Clinic - Phalen Village
A certified health care home located in a diverse urban neighborhood and a 10-minute drive from M Health Fairview St. John's Hospital.
M Health Fairview St. John's Hospital
Smaller suburban community-based primary care hospital with up-to-date technology.
We serve a well-established, ethnically diverse population, ranging from newborn to geriatric age.
St. John's M Health Fairview Clinic - Phalen Village
The M Health Fairview Clinic - Phalen Village is a certified health care home located in St. Paul, four miles from the residency's suburban M Health Fairview St. John's Hospital, in a diverse, urban neighborhood.
Patients include newborns, adolescents, adults, the elderly, and those residing in nursing homes/assisted living facilities.
- EpicCare (electronic medical record)
- Conference room
- Digital x-ray
- 20 exam rooms
- Complete lab
- Two procedure rooms
- Surgical facilities
- Three ultrasound machines, one stationary and two portable
- Large resident room with desk space for each resident
- Hmong- and Spanish-speaking staff on-site; outside interpreter services contracted as needed
- Procedures include colposcopy, ultrasound, nasal pharyngoscopy, vasectomy, colonoscopy, skin biopsy and other excision techniques
- Lean Systems efficiencies and process improvement opportunities
- Practice-based research on-site
In-house lab tests
The clinic performs a number of laboratory tests in-house.
- CBC with three part differential
- ESR (Sed Rate)
- Glucose meter
- Glycosylated hemoglobin A1c
- Helicobacter Pylori
- HCG qualitative (serum and urine)
- KOH scraping
- Mono testing
- Occult blood (stool)
- Rapid strep (group A)
- Urinalysis with micro
- Wet prep (KOH included)
Other tests are sent to our reference laboratory twice daily.
The clinic is connected to the reference laboratory's computer system, so results can be accessed at the clinic and in the electronic medical record as soon as they are available.
The clinic performs a number of procedures in-house.
- Casting and splinting
- Ear hematoma
- Ear lobe repair
- Endometrial biopsy
- IUD placement
- Joint injections and aspirations
- Nexplanon insertion and removal
- Obstetric ultrasound
- Obstetric ultrasound - quick look
- Osteopathic manual treatment (OMT)
- Removal/excision of skin lesions
- Skin biopsy
- Suture placement/removal
- Toenail removal
- Weight certification and skin fold testing
M Health Fairview St. John's Hospital
M Health Fairview St. John's Hospital is a 184-bed acute care community hospital with a strong emphasis on family medicine.
- Family physicians comprise more than 50 percent of the medical staff and account for 75 percent of all hospital admissions
- M Health Fairview St. John's Hospital has been around for more than 100 years, but has been in its current location since 1985
About M Health Fairview
M Health Fairview is one of two health care organizations in the Twin Cities named by Modern Heathcare as 1 of the Top 100 "Best Places to Work in Healthcare" in the nation. It has also been named one of the "Best Places to Work" by the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal.
- Birthing center with 28 new labor, delivery, recovery, and postpartum rooms and two C-section suites
- Diagnostic imaging, X-ray, CT, MRI, ultrasound, and interventional radiology
- Complete laboratory and pathology service
- Sports medicine health and fitness center
- Outpatient cancer and surgical centers
- Education center
- Hospice and home care
- NICU, ICU/CCU
We serve a well-established, ethnically diverse population that includes first- and second-generation immigrants from Laos, Burma/Myanmar, and Mexico, ranging from newborn to geriatric age.
Faculty, residents, and medical students are involved in a variety of outreach activities locally and abroad. Examples include:
Frequently Asked Questions
IS THE PROGRAM ACCREDITED?
Yes, the program is accredited through ACGME.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE RESIDENT BENEFITS PACKAGE?
- Most graduates practice family medicine in metropolitan or rural areas
- About one-third have gone to small practices
- Others work as residency faculty, emergency medicine physicians, and hospitalists
HOW MUCH OB EXPERIENCE CAN I EXPECT TO GET AT ST. JOHN'S?
- More than 75 deliveries in the first year and continue to do deliveries while on call throughout residency
- Residents follow their own OB patients in clinic, providing continuity of care before, during, and after pregnancy; up to 30 percent of patients are considered high-risk