Methodist Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program
Methodist Hospital Family Medicine Residency is a rigorous training program, offering residents exposure to a diverse patient population and community engagement opportunities.
Our graduates practice in a variety of contexts, including rural, urban, and suburban, with or without maternity care.
Both the clinic and hospital are part of HealthPartners Park Nicollet Health Services, a private, not-for-profit healthcare, and financing organization, with a tradition of scholarship. It is the only residency based at Methodist Hospital.
The program is located in St. Louis Park, an inner-ring suburb of Minneapolis.
- Longitudinal experiences in behavioral health, geriatrics, practice management, and sports medicine
- Comprehensive maternity care experience during three-month OB rotation
- Robust hospital training, including house coverage
Apply, benefits, and residency resources
- How to apply
- Resident stipends and benefits
- Methodist Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program Fact Sheet
- Methodist Residency Program Policy and Procedure Manual
- University of Minnesota Graduate Medical Education Institution Policies
- Support resources for residents (including mental health resources, well-being tools, work/life balance, and more)
About Park Nicollet Clinic—Creekside
Creekside is part of Park Nicollet, a multispecialty, nonprofit integrated health care system located in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. Park Nicollet has more than 8,200 employees with more than 1,000 physicians on staff. It is an integrated health care and financing organization, providing medical and dental care to more than 1.4 million patients.
Our patients are a diverse, high-acuity population with about 11,000 visits annually.
Residents work with many language interpreters:
- American Sign Language
Medicare, Medicaid, and charity care patients make up a significant portion of residents’ schedules.
Facilities and services
Preceptors, electronic and print resources, and other teaching tools are always on-site at the 9,600 square feet clinic. Additional amenities include:
- 12 exam rooms
- Digital x-ray, laboratory, and large procedure room
- A large conference/break room
- A “quiet room” for resident well-being and featuring a lactation machine
- A large behaviorist office that accommodates family conferences
- Precepting space
- Electronic medical record
- A PharmD precepts in clinic and facilitates noon conferences
- Health Care Home certified with Health Care Home coordinator on site
- Social work students on site for enhanced patient access to counseling
- Practicing psychiatrist on site who works closely with residents
Each resident is issued a laptop for use during residency.
Methodist Hospital, an area leader in cardiovascular services and cancer and maternity care, is a 426-bed facility with more than 1,000 physicians on staff.
The hospital is part of HealthPartners Park Nicollet, a nonprofit integrated care delivery system providing medical and dental care to more than 1.4 million patients.
We are the only family medicine-based residency program at the hospital.
- Provide house coverage for acute status changes of inpatients, including running cardiac/stroke codes, assisting in patient monitoring and stabilization, and running rapid evaluation teams
- Receive support from senior residents, faculty members, ER physicians, and Park Nicollet hospital service physicians
Second- and third-year residents
- Staff Creekside family medicine inpatient service with a faculty attending rotating weekly
- Maintain full responsibility for patients, ordering tests and consults and arranging for care under the guidance of an attending
While Methodist serves as the “home” hospital, residents experience rotations at:
About St. Louis Park
St. Louis Park is a thriving city of nearly 50,000 people, located less than five miles from downtown Minneapolis. As a first-ring suburb, it offers convenient access to the Twin Cities, ethnic and socioeconomic diversity, and a strong sense of community and inclusivity.
- Repeatedly named one of America's Promise Alliance 100 Best Communities for Young People
- Birthplace of the Children First initiative
- About 10% of residents born outside of the U.S.
- More than 30 languages spoken in schools
- All seven St. Louis Park Public Schools designated Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education
Methodist family medicine residents are involved in many efforts to improve the availability and quality of health care in their community:
Education and care efforts
- Present talks on puberty, tobacco, brain awareness, and other health topics in schools
- Staff “Ask the Doctor” booths at community events, like Parktacular and the Minnesota State Fair
- Provide sideline coverage and training room support for high school and Division II athletics
Central Clinic is a free walk-in clinic for St. Louis Park children and teens, open two half-days per week during the school year.
The clinic aims to reduce barriers to care; about one-third of its patients are uninsured.
Governance and funding
- Financially supported by the Park Nicollet Foundation
- Space supplied by St. Louis Park Public Schools
- Oversight provided by a community board
- Treat about 100 patients each over the course of a year
- See presenting issues ranging from well-child visits and sports physicals to acute illnesses and sexual health concerns
- Expand their skills in evaluating and treating children and adolescents
- Learn practical applications of community health ideas
- Have access to precepting by phone, a small library, and laptop computers
Central Clinic is located in the Central Community Center, 6300 Walker St., at the corner of Highway 7 and Wooddale Avenue in St. Louis Park.
The community center also houses childcare programs, an alternative high school, ECFE classes, and the Park Spanish Immersion school.
University of Minnesota Methodist Hospital Family Medicine Residency
Park Nicollet Clinic - Creekside
6600 Excelsior Blvd, Suite 100
St. Louis Park, MN 55426
Learn about the Methodist Resident Experience
Methodist Medical Student Opportunities
We welcome medical students from U.S. LCME-accredited medical schools for two- to four-week rotations.
For more information about medical student opportunities, contact Gage White, email@example.com.