The department officially launched a Program in Sports Medicine in 2013, but has been a leader in primary care sports medicine education, research, and practice for more than 20 years.
Education & Training
The following elective courses are available to third- and fourth-year medical students:
- FMCH 7537: Sports Medicine
- FMCH 7538: Sports Medicine in Duluth
- FMCH 7539: Directed Study in Sports Medicine
- FMCH 7540: Sports Medicine: USA Soccer Cup
Residents learn sports and musculoskeletal medicine longitudinally through clinical care, team and event coverage, and day-long didactic courses.
The department holds the following one- to two-day programmatic residency courses:
- Sports Medicine I: Basic Musculoskeletal Assessments (required)
- Sports Medicine II: Procedures in Sports Medicine (elective)
- USA Soccer Cup Sports Medicine (elective)
The department sponsors a one-year, ACGME-accredited Sports Medicine Fellowship, one of the first of its kind in the nation.
We have specialty-trained physicians providing care in the clinic, on the sidelines, and in the training room.
Our faculty provide clinical service and education at the following clinics:
- M Health Fairview Sports Medicine Clinic
- M Physicians Broadway Family Medicine Clinic
- M Physicians Mill City Clinic
- M Health Fairview Clinic - Phalen Village
- M Health Fairview Clinic - Smiley’s
Team & Event Coverage
Family medicine faculty and orthopedic surgeons form the medical team for the University of Minnesota Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.
Our faculty also provide medical coverage or serve as team physicians at the professional, collegiate, high school, and Olympic levels.