The Summer Internship in Medicine (SIM) course is an elective experience offered to students during the summer between their first and second year of medical school. The course is offered through the University of Minnesota Medical School Duluth. Duluth and Twin Cities medical students are immersed into a community to experience life as a rural health professional. Students placed in the community participate in clinical medicine, hospital medicine, interprofessional patient care, community health system support, and community activities. The SIM experience is two to four weeks in length with a two-week minimum. Longer experiences may be possible and are site-specific. This program is helpful in formulating clinical confidence, reinforcing rural practice choice, assisting in career decision making, as well as providing an opportunity for future recruitment.
- Information Session: January 15, 2021, via Zoom, 12:15PM-1:10PM
- Application Period: February 15, 2021 - February 28, 2021 (Late applicants will be assigned sites after all the initial applicants have been placed)
- Student Site placement Announced: April 1, 2021
- SIM Program Timeframe: 2-4 weeks (minimum 2 weeks), June-August 2021
- After your SIM Experience: turn in your Reflection Essay and detailed site schedule
- Debrief: September 2021 (exact date TBD)