Preceptorship in Community Family Medicine
Catalog Description: This course is intended for students interested in pursuing family medicine as a career, or for students wishing to acquire a broadly-based medical background before training in another specialty. Depending on the site, the student may participate in inpatient, materintiy care, and outpatient care in the family medicine clinic and in the hospital.
Sites: Various clinical sites including DU: Duluth
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 7:00am-5:00pm
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Arranged. Please submit a request to schedule using the form linked below.
Course Objectives: This elective provides opportunities for students to participate in the delivery of medical care, mainly in the ambulatory setting.
Upon completion of the rotation, the student will be able to:
- Understand the role of the family physician and their interaction with patients and their families, the community, professional colleagues, allied health personnel, and consultants.
- Take a history, perform a physical exam, interpret the results and integrate health promotion and disease prevention.
- Observe a procedure performed in a family practice clinic setting or hospital setting.
- Participate in the primary evaluation of undifferentiated disease.
- Evaluate patients with common acute or chronic diseases.
- Recognize the importance of the biopsychosocial and social factors and their effect on health.
- Clinical Assessment by attending
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub