*University of Minnesota Medical School Visiting Student Announcement*
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the University of Minnesota Medical School has decided to suspend all visiting student rotations at least through the end of our summer semester, August 21, 2020. This decision is consistent with the current statement of President Gabel that all summer classes across the University system be conducted through alternative instruction including clinical rotations. Our heartfelt apologies to those students who had planned a rotation here. We will resume visiting student electives as soon as it is consistent with the University's response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the Minnesota Department of Public Health recommendations.
Visiting medical students from domestic LCME-accredited medical schools and COCA-accredited medical schools ONLY may apply for selected elective rotations at the University of Minnesota Medical School.
International medical students are not accepted unless a formal agreement exists between their medical school and the University of Minnesota. For a list of medical schools with whom the University of Minnesota has formal agreements, please visit the website for the Global Medical Education & Research Program.
Application Procedure for Visiting Students from U.S. LCME-accredited Medical Schools or COCA-accredited Medical Schools
The University of Minnesota Medical School uses the AAMC's Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) to receive visiting student applications. Our institution information is available at AAMC's list of VSAS home institutions.
To apply to our institution, you will need to complete an application in VSAS. Do not send elective requests directly to our office or to course personnel. Due to the high volume of applications, do not email elective coordinators directly.
Applications must conform to established UMN electives and to the published calendar without exception. Visit the calendar
- in good academic standing
- completed at least 3 core clerkships (MED, SURG, OB/GYN, PED, Family Medicine and/or Psych) including one in the elective's specialty, if applicable
- passed USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX-USA Level 1
- receiving credit for the elective at your home school
- paying tuition at your home school during the period indicated
- have certification in OSHA safety measures and infection control precautions
- Current with Basic Life Support (BLS) training
- We accept only the AAMC Standard Immunization Form and require the following immunizations
- Tuberculosis Screening - TB blood test (QuantiFERON TB-Gold or T-SPOT) OR Two-Step TST
- Hepatitis B (documentation of vaccine or positive titer)
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) (documentation of two doses or positive titer for each)
- Varicella (documentation of two doses OR positive titer OR provider diagnosis of disease date)
- Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis Tdap (documentation of one dose received July 2005 or later and then 1 every 10 years after that)
- Influenza vaccine within the last year
- completed HIPPA training
- professional liability and malpractice coverage is provided by your home school of at least 1,000,000 per instance and 3,000,000 aggregate (Visiting students in elective rotations through the UMN Medical School do not have professional liability coverage from the University of Minnesota.)
- hold personal health insurance. Visiting students must provide verification that they carry their own health and accident insurance to cover any inpatient medical expenses they may incur.
We will begin reviewing applications approximately 8-12 weeks prior to the start dates for which students have applied. We are not able to accommodate any date requests outside of the dates that are listed in VSAS. After the add/drop deadlines have passed for University of Minnesota students, we review visiting student applications. Below are the dates for when we will begin to review 20-21 academic year visiting student applications. View our clinical rotation calendar for corresponding period dates.
*We are currently not accepting visiting students for Summer 2020.*
- F1/F2 periods - July 13
- F3/F4 periods - August 31
- SP1/SP2 periods - October 26
- SP3/SP4 periods - January 11
If You Are Accepted - Additional Requirements
If you are offered and accept an elective, you will be asked to complete several additional requirements including a specific background study prior to arrival. Please note that there are very specific deadlines for some of these requirements and failure to meet them in the timeline will result in your offer being revoked.
Mistreatment and Harassment Reporting
The University of Minnesota recognizes its obligation to its faculty, staff and the community to maintain the highest ethical standards.
To facilitate this process the University has chosen Ethical Advocate to provide you with an anonymous way to report activities that may be violations of the University's policies or other laws, rules and regulations.
Reporting an incident of mistreatment, harassment, or abuse of a medical student can be reported 24 hours, 7 days a week.
To learn more and report an incident visit our Reporting Mistreatment Page.
Biosafety Incidents and Needlestick Injury Protocol
In the event of accidental or potential exposure to infectious and environmental hazards at an instructional site, visiting students can follow the same processes and procedure as University of Minnesota medical students.
Steps to address blood borne pathogen exposure and a 24 hour help line can be found on our Needlestick Injury Protocol page.
Additional biosafety incident and emergency information can be found on the university's BioSafety and Occupational Health page.
For More Information
For more information, please browse our institution's visiting student electives in the VSAS Elective Catalog.