Acting Intern Family Medicine
Catalog Description: This 4-week elective is offered at all of the University of Minnesota-affiliated residency programs in Family Medicine (Twin Cities, Duluth, St. Cloud, Mankato), and select other local programs. This elective provides students the opportunity to experience the full spectrum of Family Medicine and Community Health and what it is like to be an intern at that program. The student will work with Family Medicine faculty physicians and residents in all the facets of Family Medicine care available at that program. These include but may vary by site: outpatient clinic, inpatient hospital service, labor and delivery, after hours and weekend work or overnight call, procedures and, where applicable, nursing home rounds or home visits or other community service activities.
- DU: Duluth Family Medicine Residency, 400 East 3rd Street, Duluth, MN 55805
- Essentia Health - St. Mary's Medical Center, 407 E 3rd St. Duluth, MN 55805
- St. Luke's Hospital, 915 E First St., Duluth, MN 55805
- Smiley's Clinic, 2020 East 28th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55406
- UMMC-Fairview East Bank, 500 Harvard Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- UMP Bethesda Clinic, 580 Rice Street, St. Paul, MN 55103
- Woodwinds, 1925 Woodwinds Dr, Woodbury, MN 55125
- Phalen Village Clinic, 1414 Maryland Ave E, St. Paul, MN 55406
- HealthEast St. John's Hospital, 1575 Beam Ave., Maplewood, MN 55109
- MAN: Mayo Clinic Health System Hospital and Clinic, 1025 Marsh St. Mankato, MN 56001
- Park Nicollet Clinic - Creekside, 6600 Excelsior Blvd, Suite 160, St. Louis Park, MN 55426
- Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital - 6500 Excelsior Blvd, St. Louis Park, MN 55426
- Broadway Family Medicine Clinic, 2426 West Broadway Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55411
- North Memorial Medical Center, 3300 Oakdale Ave N, Robbinsdale, MN 55422
- CentraCare Clinic - Northway Family Medicine, 1555 Northway Drive, Suite 200, St. Cloud, MN 56303
- St. Cloud Hospital, 1406 6th Ave N, St. Cloud, MN 56303
- UH: United Family Medicine Residency Program, 233 Grand Ave, St. Paul, MN 55102
- UH Hospital, 333 Smith Avenue N, St. Paul, MN 55102
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: 7am-5pm M-F. Students are also expected to engage in after hours call in both inpatient and obstetrical call at a frequency of approximately once per week; call may include evenings, overnights, and weekends depending on the site.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Arranged. Please submit a request to schedule using the form linked below.
Course Objectives: By the end of this rotation, students will be able to:
- experience the breadth of "full spectrum" Family Medicine in the outpatient and inpatient settings including maternity care and after hours work.
- leverage off the skills they have learned in the Family Medicine clerkship and improve these skills by application in clinical care.
- learn a limited amount of patient management skills in outpatient clinic, inpatient medicine, and labor and delivery.
- experience managing urgent and "out of hours" clinical medicine by working after hours with residents in Family Medicine.
- experience what it is like to be an intern in Family Medicine.
Graded Components: Assessment of student clinical performance by attending (direct observation).
Grading Scale: P/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub