Welcome to GME
Author: | June 17, 2019
It’s that time of year when the Medical School receives its annual infusion of talent, energy, enthusiasm, and fresh ideas.
Today Graduate Medical Education welcomes our new residents and fellows.
This is an exciting time for the Medical School faculty and staff. For those of us who remain here year in and year out, we really do rely on this new group to bring fresh eyes to old projects, an influx of ideas for new projects, and the ability to build on everything you have learned to create the future.
It takes extraordinary people to choose medicine as a career. People with focused drive and incredible patience. People who can learn from the past and yet are not bound to repeat it. People who believe they can change the world for the better and who have the intellect and heart to do it. We are very glad that you have chosen this path and that you have chosen the University of Minnesota Medical School in which to pursue it.
There are some things that we all need to be reminded of from time to time that will help you in the years to come:
- You will be defined more by how you work through difficulties than for the things you breeze through with ease.
- Changing the world is hard; hold on to your optimism.
- You have two hemispheres in your brain, remember to use them both. Sometimes the new perspective you need comes from a direction you don’t expect: artistic, unscientific, nonlinear.
- You are part of a larger community. Remember that we are always here for you.
- And; find something about winter that you can look forward to.
I hope that the next few years are full of learning, exploration, and the joy of discovery. I look forward to seeing you grow into the next generation of scientific and medical pathfinders and pioneers.
On behalf of all of us in the University of Minnesota Medical School, welcome! We’re glad you’re here.