NOTE: Medical School Registrar's office staff are working remotely as of 3/16/2020 and will not be able to retrieve mail. Follow the instructions below and submit your verification requests electronically.
For current MD degree-seeking students
Do you need general proof of your enrollment for loans, insurance, or something similar?
- Print an enrollment verification directly from OneStop.
Do you have a specific form that needs to be signed by a school official for a scholarship, military benefits, or something similar?
- Fill out all of your personal information on the form, then scan and email the form to email@example.com. Your request will be processed within 3-5 business days.
Do you need information verified for an away rotation application?
- See the away rotation website for information.
For MS4s and recent MD degree graduates
Do need confirmation of your graduation status for your residency program, loan application, or something similar? Fulfillment of these requests depends on the phrasing of the request and where you are on the degree conferral timeline. The normal turnaround time for verification requests is 3-5 business days.
Timeline for degree conferral:
1. Spring semester ends on a Friday (this will be your conferral date)
2. Final grades are due 6 weeks after the last day of your course
3. The medical school registrar will clear your degree within one week of your last final grade being posted to your transcript
4. The university’s central registrar’s office will award the degree within two weeks of being cleared, but not before the last day of Spring semester
5. You can monitor your unofficial transcript for the ‘Degree Awarded’ notation. Your diploma will be ordered and mailed to your address as listed in MyU within two weeks of being awarded.
A. My form asks for verification of my anticipated graduation or that I will graduate
Forms that request an anticipated graduation can be completed before the end of your final semester, unless they also include language that the university is responsible for notifying the institution that you didn’t graduate. In that case, follow the instructions for B below. Fill out all parts of the form that ask for your personal information, including your signature if required, then scan the form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will complete the rest of the form and send it to your program or back to you depending on the instructions on the form.
B. My form asks the school to verify that I have graduated
Wait until you get to #5 on the degree conferral timeline above. Once you see the ‘Degree Awarded’ notation and date on your unofficial transcript, fill out all parts of the form that ask for your personal information, including your signature if required, then scan the form and email it to email@example.com. We will complete the rest of the form and send it to your program or back to you depending on the instructions on the form.
C. I don’t have a form, I just need a letter verifying my graduation status
If the letter needs to say you will graduate, email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know exactly what details to include in the letter and where to send it. If the letter needs to say you have graduated, wait until you get to #5 on the degree conferral timeline above. Once you see the ‘Degree Awarded’ notation and date on your unofficial transcript, email email@example.com and let us know exactly what details to include in the letter and where to send it.
D. I also need a copy of my official transcript with my degree conferred date on it and/or I need a copy of my diploma included.
Transcripts: You can order an official transcript from OneStop and have it sent directly to your program or licensure board. They will accept your transcript sent directly from the university, even if separate from your form. Before ordering we recommend you to first review the unofficial copy to make sure it includes all final grades and your degree confer date. The official transcript will have exactly the same information as what is on the unofficial version.
Diploma: Scan and email a copy of your diploma with your form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For MD degree alumni
The Medical School Office of the Registrar can complete verifications of MD degrees for the purposes of state licensure or employment applications. The normal turnaround time for verification requests is 3-5 business days.
Do you need verification for a state licensure application?
- Most states have a form for degree verification. Fill out all parts of the form that ask for your personal information, including your signature if required, then scan the form and email it to email@example.com. We will complete the form and send it back to the board.
Do you need a copy of your transcript or a duplicate diploma?
- Both of these can be ordered from OneStop. Look under the Academics tab for links.
If you need your transcript included with your form:
You can order an official transcript from OneStop and have it sent directly to your program or licensure board. They will accept your transcript sent directly from the university, even if separate from your form.
If you need a certified copy of your diploma included with your form:
Scan a copy of your medical school diploma and include it with your form emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you changed your name?
- We can only complete MD degree verifications if the name on your form exactly matches your name in our Student Information System. If your name has changed since you graduated, please update your information with the university first using the request form, then submit your verification request.
Do you need a copy of your MSPE (Dean’s Letter) for a fellowship application?
- See the MSPE section below.
For third-party verifiers
- The University of Minnesota Medical School uses National Student Clearinghouse Verification Services. This service will confirm an alumni's dates of attendance and degree earned. This is the preferred method of verification.
- The registrar's office can also verify dates of attendance and MD degrees earned. Currently, there is no fee for this service. We will only provide verifications when accompanied by a signed waiver to release information. We also require an additional piece of identifying information such as a date of birth or the last four digits of the social security number. We can also provide verifications for students who matriculated on our Duluth campus.
Send your verification request to email@example.com.
- For Residency, Internship, or Fellowship verifications, see the information in the next section.
Residency / Internship / Fellowship certification
If you need verification that you did a residency, an internship or a fellowship at the University of Medical School it needs to be verified by the department the training was completed in. Please reference this webpage to find the program that you were in, and the associated email address and phone number of the person who can assist you.
USMLE transcripts of step 1, 2 and 3 scores
The University of Minnesota Medical School does not provide USMLE Step score information to students or to third parties for verification.
You can request exam transcripts via the Federation of State Medical Boards website.
Liability insurance information
Send requests to:
Risk management and insurance
1300 S 2nd Street
Minneapolis, MN 55454
Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
The Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE), formerly known as the Dean's Letter, is an official medical school document. The MSPE is ONLY allowed to be used for fellowship application purposes; students may not possess a copy of the document themselves. If you require a copy of your MSPE for a fellowship application, the medical school can send it directly to any program requesting a copy (via mail, email or fax).
If you are applying to fellowship programs via the ERAS for Fellowship program and using the MIDUS system, the medical school can upload your MSPE directly into the system. Add the contact name listed below as the "uploader" of the document in the MIDUS system to generate the system email link for uploading. Instructions for the MIDUS system can be found here.
If you also need an official transcript, you can order one from OneStop.
Contact info to request an MSPE be sent or uploaded into MIDUS:
Faculty Advising and Residency Match Coordinator
University of Minnesota Medical School
Office of Student Affairs, MMC 293
420 Delaware St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455