PT, CLT-LANA, PhD
Awards & Recognition
- Women's Health Scholar (2017-2019)
- Dorothy Briggs Memorial Scientific Inquiry Award, American Physical Therapy Association (2016)
- Roza Steer Breast Cancer Research Award, University of Minnesota (2013)
- Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, University of Minnesota (2011-2012)
- Fairview Courageous Leadership Scholarship, Fairview Health Care System (2007-2008)
- National Lymphedema Network International Conference - Scientific Planning Committee
- University of Minnesota - Masonic Cancer Center Faculty
- International Society of Lymphology
- American Lymphedema Foundation
- Lymphology Association of North America
- National Lymphology Network
- American Physical Therapy Association
- Lymphology Association of North America (certified lymphedema therapist)
Professional and Scientific Activities
- Scientific Committee Member, National Lymphedema Network, 11th International Conference, 2013-present
- Manuscript Reviewer,
Dr. Koehler's area of interest includes cancer survivorship and lymphatic disorders. Her specific focus is on axillary web syndrome, lymphedema, and outcome measures following breast cancer treatment. Her research encompasses rehabilitation and exercise to improve the function and physical health in cancer survivors. In January 2015, Dr. Koehler obtained a research appointment within the Masonic Cancer Center. Through her research, her goal is to address the physical impairments following cancer treatment and enhance cancer rehabilitation.
- Axillary web syndrome ongoing medical evaluation
- Quality of life in breast cancer survivors who participate in dragon boat racing
- Measurement of local tissue water following breast cancer surgery
- Physical Rehabilitation Evaluation and Optimal Physical Therapy
- Koehler, LA, Mayrovitz HN. Trunk Lymphedema Following Breast Cancer Surgery. Physical Therapy Journal, accepted 2/2020.
- Chrischilles E, Riley D, Letuchy E, Koehler L, Neuner J, Gryzlak B, Segal N, McDowell B, Smith B, Sugg S, Armer J, Lizarraga I. Upper extremity disability and quality of life after breast cancer treatment in the Greater Plains Collaborative clinical data research network. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Jun;175(3):675-689. doi: 10.1007/s10549-019-05184-1. (Epub 2019 Mar 9.)
- Koehler, LA, Haddad T, Hunter D, Tuttle T. Axillary Web Syndrome following Breast Cancer Surgery: Symptoms, Complications, and Management Strategies. Breast Cancer-Targets and Therapy, Vol. 11 (Dec. 2018), 13-19. https://doi.org/10.2147/BCTT.S146635
- Koehler, LA, Mayrovitz HN. Spatial and Temporal Variability of Upper Extremity Edema Measures Following Breast Cancer Surgery. Lymphatic Research and Biology, 2019 Jun;17(3):308-315 doi: 10.1089/lrb.2018.0022. (Epub 2018 Nov 14.)
- Koehler L.A. (Interview). (2018, June 26, 2018) Axillary Web Syndrome After Breast Cancer Surgery: An Interview with Dr. Linda Koehler [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from https://academic.oup.com/ptj/pages/podcasts
- Koehler, LA, Hunter DW, Blaes AH, Haddad TC. Function, Shoulder Motion, Pain, and Lymphedema in Breast Cancer With and Without Axillary Web Syndrome: An 18-Month Follow-Up, Physical Therapy, Volume 98, Issue 6, 1 June 2018, Pages 518–527. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/pzy010
- Thompson Buum,H, Koehler L, Tuttle T. Venturing Out on a Limb: Axillary Web Syndrome, The American Journal of Medicine, Vol. 130, No.5, (May 2017), 209-210.
- Koehler LA, Blaes AH, Haddad TC, Hunter DW, Hirsch AT, Ludewig PM: Movement, function, pain, and post-op edema in axillary web syndrome. Physical Therapy, Vol. 95, No. 10, (October 2015), 1345-1353. doi: 10.2522/ptj.20140377.
- Koehler, LA, DW Hunter, TC Haddad, AH Blaes, AT Hirsch, PM Ludewig: Characterizing Axillary Web Syndrome: Ultrasonographic efficacy. Lymphology, Vol. 47, No. 4, (Dec 2014), 153-155.
- Koehler LA. Axillary Web Syndrome. In: Zuther, JE. Lymphedema Management, The Comprehensive Guide for Patients and Practitioners. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Thieme Medical Scientific Publishers; 2013:64-67.
- Koehler LA. Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome/Parkes Weber Syndrome. In: Zuther, JE. Lymphedema Management, The Comprehensive Guide for Patients and Practitioners. 3rd ed. New York, NY: Thieme Medical Scientific Publishers; 2013:209-210.
- Koehler LA. Axillary Web Syndrome (ie.cording).Available at: http://www.lymphedemablog.com/2011/04/28/axillary-web-syndrome/. April 28, 2011.
- Koehler LA. Axillary web syndrome and lymphedema, a new perspective. Lymph Link 18(3):9-10; 2006
- Cancer Rehabilitation
- Human Development
- Orientation to Physical Therapy
Clinical Experience - Physical Therapist
- 2009-present: Fairview Lakes Medical Center, Casual Physical Therapist, Wyoming, MN
- 2002-2009: Fairview Lakes Medical Center, Physical Therapist; Clinical Specialist, Chisago City, MN
- 1995-2002: Sister Kenney Sports and Physical Therapy, Unity Hospital, Fridley, MN