Sarah Cross, MD
Assistant Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women's Health (OBGYN)
Assistant Professor, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women's Health (OBGYN)
Medical Director - The Birthplace at M Health Fairview Masonic Children's Hospital
Medical Director - Pregnancy Special Care Unit & The Newborn Family Care Center, M Health Fairview Masonic Children's Hospital
Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, 2007
OBGYN Residency, Yale School of Medicine, 2011
Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship, Yale School of Medicine, 2015
Ultrasound Fellowship, Yale School of Medicine, 2012
Prior to coming to the University of Minnesota, Dr. Cross received her MD with honors from the Pritzker School in Medicine at the University of Chicago. She completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Yale School of Medicine in New Haven, CT. She worked as an attending physician for one year before completing her fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine, after which remained at Yale as an Assistant Professor. Recently, Dr. Cross has served as the leader of the System Response for Pregnancy/OB as part of the M Health Fairview Incident Command Center COVID. Her work has involved over 30 lectures and interviews on COVID-19 in pregnancy including being a reference for Dr. Michael Osterholm and appearing in National Geographic and Forbes Magazine.
Prior to coming to the University of Minnesota, Dr. Cross received her MD with honors from the Pritzker School in Medicine at the University of Chicago. She completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Yale School of Medicine in New Haven, CT. She worked as an attending physician for one year before completing her fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine, after which remained at Yale as an Assistant Professor.
Recently, Dr. Cross has served as the leader of the System Response for Pregnancy/OB as part of the M Health Fairview Incident Command Center COVID. Her work has involved over 30 lectures and interviews on COVID-19 in pregnancy including being a reference for Dr. Michael Osterholm and appearing in National Geographic and Forbes Magazine.
Dr. Cross’ research interests include: Periviability, Mode of Delivery, Clinical Obstetrics
- Pluym ID, Rao R, Ballas J, Ramos GA, Cross SN, Zapata M, Srinivas S, Louis JM, Werner E, Afshar Y, Han CS. Obstetrical unit response to the COVID-19 pandemic: OUR Study. Am J Perinatol. 2020 Sep 6 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 32892329
- Mustafa HJ*, Cross SN, Jacobs KM, Tessier KM, Tofte AN*, McCarter AR*, Narasimhan SL. Preterm Birth of Infants Prenatally Diagnosed with Congenital Heart Disease, Characteristics, Associations, and Outcomes. Pediatr Cardiol. 2020 Jun;41(5):972-978. PMID: 32356015, PMCID: PMC7394484
- Irani RA*, Buhimschi CS, Cross SN, Zhao G, Copel JA, Bhandari V, Buhimschi IA, Bahtiyar MO. Fetal myocardial function as assessed by N-terminal fragment brain natriuretic protein in premature fetuses exposed to intra-amniotic inflammation. Am J Perinat. 2020 Jun;37(7):745-53 [Epub 2019 May]. PMID: 31121635
- Mustafa HJ*, Jacobs KM, Tessier KM, Sivanandam S, Tofte AN*, McCarter AR*, Cross SN. Chromosomal Microarray Analysis in the Investigation of Prenatally Diagnosed Congenital Heart Disease.Am J Obstet GynecolMFM. 2020Feb;2(1):100078[Epub 2019 Dec]. PMID: 333459905.
- Cross SN, Greenberg JT*, Pettker CM, Raab CA, Illuzzi JL. Indications contributing to the decreasing cesarean delivery rate at an academic tertiary center.Am J Obstet GynecolMFM. 2019 May;1(2):175-72.PMID: 33345822
Cross S, Nelson R*, Potter J,Norwitz E, Abrahams V. Magnesium Sulfate Differentially Modulates Fetal Membrane Inflammation in a Time-Dependent Manner. Am J of Reprod Immunol. 2018 Jul;80(1):e12861 [Epub 2018 Apr 30]. PMID 29709093, PMCID: PMC60212017.
Kim S*, Hill A, Menderes G, Cross S, Azodi M, Bahtiyar MO. Minimally invasive abdominal cerclage compared to laparotomy: a comparison of surgical and obstetric outcomes. J Robot Surg. 2018 Jun;12(2):295-301 [Epub 2017 Jul]. PMID: 287216348.
Cross SN, Potter JA, Aldo P, Kwon JY, Pitruzzello M, Tong M, Guller S, Rothlin CV, Mor G, Abrahams VM. Viral Infection sensitizes Human Fetal Membranes to Bacterial LPS by MERTK Inhibition and Inflammasome Activation. J Immunol.2017 Oct 15;199(8):2885-95.PMID: 289165229.
Scheinost D, Sinha R, Cross SN, Kwon SH, Sze G, Constable RT, Ment LR. Does prenatal stress alter the developing connectome? Pediatr Res.2017 Jan;81(1-2):214-26. PMID: 2767342110.
Ratner ES, Staib LH, Cross SN, Raji R, Schwartz PE, McCarthy SM. The clinical impact of gynecologic MRI. AJR Am J Roentgenol.2015 Mar;204(3):674-80. PMID: 2571430211.
Silva CT, Engle C, Cross SN, Copel JE, Morotti RA, Baker KE, Goodman TR. Postnatal sonographic spectrum of prenatally detected abdominal and pelvic cysts. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014 Dec;203(6):W684-96. PMID: 2541573512.
Nayeri UA, Buhimschi IA, Laky CA, Cross SN, Duzyj CM, Ramma W, Sibai BM, Funai EF, Amher A, Buhimschi CS. Antenatal corticosteroids impact the inflammatory rather than the antiangiogenic profile of women with preeclampsia. Hypertension.2014 Jun;63(6):1285-92. PMID: 2455429213.
Cross SN, Dickhut E, Kidd M, Antony K, Case GA, Linehan M, Tyler C. Birth: A collection of poems. J Med Humanities. 2012 Jun;33(2):127-34. PMID: 22392537.
Wilken J, Badri T, Cross S, Raji R, Santin A, Schwartz P, Branscum A, Baron A, Sakhitab A, Maihle N. EGFR/HER-targeted therapeutics in ovarian cancer. Future Med Chem.2012 Mar;4(4):447-69. PMID: 22416774;PMCID: PMC462093115.
Cross SN, Ratner E, Rutherford TJ, Schwartz PE, Norwitz, ER. Bevacizumab-mediated interference with VEGF signaling is sufficient to induce a preeclampsia-like syndrome in nonpregnant women. Rev Obstet Gynecol.2012;5(1):2-8. PMID: 22582121;PMCID: PMC334991816.
Cross SN, Nayeri U, Duffy A, Pettker C. Abdominal pain after gastric-bypass: labor, uterine rupture, or obstruction and internal hernia. Case Rep Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 6 September 27, 2021doi:10.1155/2011/415795; 3 pages. PMID: 22567508;PMCID: PMC333553817.
Cross SN, Ratner E, Silasi A, Santin A, Azodi M, Rutherford T, Schwartz P. Bevacizumab related hypertension and reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy in gynecologic malignancies: a case control study. J Cancer Ther.2011;2(2):217-223. DOI:10.4236/jct.2011.2202818.
Cross S. One millimeter. Virtual Mentor. 2010 Oct 1;12(10):824. PMID: 2318674419.
Cross SN, E Cocco, Bellone S, Anagnostou V, Brower S, Richter C, Siegel E, Schwartz P, Rutherford T, Santin A. Differential sensitivity to platinum-based chemotherapy in primary uterine serous papillarycarcinoma cell lines with high versus low HER-2/neu expression in vitro. Am J Obstet Gynecol.2010 Aug;203(2):162.e1-8. PMID: 20417484 PMCID: PMC291891220.
Cross SN, Berlin R, Blank DJ, Lee DH, Sklarew M, Machin A, Gutterman L, Kohn M, Becker D. Illness: A collection of poems. J Med Humanities. 2010 Jun;31(2):171-82. PMID: 20140485.21.
Cross S. The body in two parts: One –Growth and Two –Death. J Med Humanities. 2008 Jun;29(2):189-202. PMID: 1858431322.
Cross S, Kim SJ, Weiss LA, Delahanty RJ, Sutcliffe JS, Leventhal BL, Cook EH, Veenstra-VanderWeele J. Molecular genetics of the platelet serotonin system in first-degree relatives of patients with autism. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Jan;33(2):353-360. PMID: 17406648 PMCID: PMC2739682
Fairview Maple Grove Medical Center;Fairview Southdale Hospital;Maternal-Fetal Medicine Center
Obstetrics and Gynecology; Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Centers -UMMC Riverside Professional Building -Fairview Southdale -Fairview Ridges -Maple Grove Hospital -North Memorial Hospital -HealthEast St. John's Hospital
In The News
In the Media
- Majority of Pregnant People Refuse to Get Vaccinated, Despite CDC Guidance (Newsweek)
- With COVID deaths among pregnant people increasing, here’s what expectant Texans should know (Dallas News)
- Doctors See Rise In Pregnant Woman With COVID, Encourage Vaccination (CBS Local)
- Doctors Now Recommending COVID Vaccine During Pregnancy (CBS Local)
- CDC says 23% of pregnant women have been vaccinated, health care professionals trying to change that (KSTP)
- Safe and sound: Expert monitoring helps mother, twins through high-risk pregnancy (MHealth)
- Pregnant woman's brush with death shows how COVID-19 risks endure for younger adults (Star Tribune)
- Medical experts weigh in on study showing benefits of COVID-19 vaccine for pregnant mothers, newborns (KSTP)
- Our Best Shot: Fact-checking claims about COVID vaccines and fertility (Star Tribune)
- Doctors brace for questions with return of Johnson & Johnson vaccine (Star Tribune)
- New COVID-19 treatment trial is first to include pregnant women (Thedenverchannel)
- Interview as expert in COVID-19 in Pregnancy for the Osterholm Update (Ep. 37) (The Olsterholm Update)
- COVID-19 Mini-Series: Physician-hood, Pregnancies, and Parenting (Ep. 1) (SMFM Podcast Series)
- Pregnant During Covid? Here’s What You Need To Know (Forbes)
- Black Women Suffer Most From Restrictive Reproduction Policies, Study Shows (Verywell Family)
- One in four pregnant people with COVID-19 may have lingering ‘long-haul’ illness (National Geographic)
- After suffering tremendous loss, Dr. Sarah Cross devotes her career caring mothers (M Physicians)
- Interview as expert in COVID-19 in Pregnancy for the Osterholm Update (Ep. 25 & 22) (The Olsterholm Update)
- Born in grief: A mother’s death highlights pandemic’s racial disparities (Star Tribune)
- No evidence yet of higher Covid-19 risk for pregnant women, but doctors encourage caution (MHealth)