Dr. Yohe is a hematopathologist and molecular genetic pathologist, director of the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory, and a member of the Division of Molecular Pathology and Genomics. In her molecular pathology role, Dr. Yohe works with her colleagues in the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory and the bioinformatics group at the Minnesota Supercomputing Institute to implement genomic testing into clinical practice. In addition to offering next generation sequencing (NGS) testing for many inherited conditions, the team performs NGS for a number of genes commonly mutated in leukemias, lymphomas, and solid tumors. She is Vice Chair of the College of American Pathologists' (CAP) Personalized Health Care Committee, which makes recommendations for setting standards in rapidly emerging fields like clinical genomics. She is active in education and is the Molecular Genetic Pathology Fellowship Program Director.
Dr. Yohe's research interests include understanding genetic changes and improving detection of minimal residual disease (MRD) in hematopoietic malignancies, like acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome, using genomic and flow cytometric technologies. One of the challenges in the field is the heterogeneity of the immunophenotype and genetics of these diseases. She has collaborated with her clinical colleagues to show the importance of MRD detection pre-transplant and is pursuing novel methods to detect MRD in acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome.
- Mroz P, Michel S, Allen JD, Meyer T, McGonagle EJ, Carpentier R, Vecchia A, Schlichte A, Bishop JR, Dunnenberger HM, Yohe S, Thyagarajan B, Jacobson PA, Johnson SG. Development and implementation of in-house pharmacogenomic testing program at a major academic health system. Front Genet. 2021 Oct 20;12:712602. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2021.712602.
- Kao RL, Jacobsen AA, Billington CJ Jr, Yohe SL, Beckman AK, Vercellotti GM, Pearson DR. A case of VEXAS syndrome associated with EBV-associated hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2021 Nov 30;93:102636. doi: 10.1016/j.bcmd.2021.102636.
- Martinez RJ, Pankratz N, Schomaker M, Daniel J, Beckman K, Karger AB, Thyagarajan B, Ferreri P, Yohe SL, Nelson AC. Prediction of false positive SARS-CoV-2 molecular results in a high-throughput open platform system. J Mol Diagn. 2021 Jun 8:S1525-1578(21)00166-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jmoldx.2021.05.015
- Oltvai ZN, Harley SE, Koes D, Michel S, Warlick ED, Nelson AC, Yohe S, Mroz P. Assessing acquired resistance to IDH1 inhibitor therapy by full-exon IDH1 sequencing and structural modeling. Cold Spring Harb Mol Case Stud. 2021 Apr 8;7(2):a006007. doi: 10.1101/mcs.a006007.
- Andrew C Nelson, Benjamin Auch, Matthew Schomaker, Daryl M Gohl, Patrick Grady, Darrell Johnson, Robyn Kincaid, Kylene E Karnuth, Jerry Daniel, Jess K Fiege, Elizabeth J Fay, Tyler Bold, Ryan A Langlois, Kenneth B Beckman, and Sophia Yohe. Analytical validation of a COVID-19 qRT-PCR detection assay using a 384-well format and three extraction methods. bioRxiv, April 5, 2020.doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.04.02.022186 [preprint]
AddressRm D219-7, MMC Box 609 Mayo
420 Delaware St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455