Acting Internship in Radiation Oncology
The sub-internship is designed to prepare students for their role as a radiation oncology resident. During the rotation, the student should function as a beginning PGY-2 resident under the supervision of an attending physician. The sub-intern will assume primary responsibility for the patients on that attending’s service. The attending will make sure that the workload is commensurate with the sub-intern’s clinical skills, the complexity of the cases and the number of patients on the service. Graduated responsibility will be granted by the supervising attending, based on the students’ performance.
Sites: View site addresses by clicking on the site name below or visiting the site codes table.
Required session attendance:
Weekly treatment planning sessions (Mon & Tues 7:30-8:30AM)
- Weekly resident didactic sessions (Wed. AM or PM) as assigned
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode:
Monday through Friday; 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Arranged. Please submit a request to schedule using the form linked below.
Take a directed history and physical for a patient referred for radiotherapy.
- Write a preiliminary radiation prescription and formulate a preliminary treatment plan.
- Direct the planning session and begin to be able to delineate tumor targets and organs at risk (to be avoided).
- Work with a dosimetrist, generate a radiation plan.
- Follow up with a patient every week during radiation to evaluate for side effects.
- Learn the basics of side effect management.
- 10 minute presentation at the end of the rotation.
- Medhub Evaluation performed by the preceptor.
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: MS4
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub