Acting Internship-Transfusion Medicine
Catalog Description: The acting intern will function as an integral part of the Transfusion Medicine service. Responsibilities will go beyond that of the general medical student clerkship (LAMP 7184), and will align with the expectations and goals of pathology residents on this rotation. These enhanced responsibilities will include:
- Coverage of the daytime service pager. This will greatly enhance the acting intern's ability to function as an integral part of the health care team. These calls include interactions with laboratory staff as well as clinical teams.
- Primary responsibility to collect, evaluate, and present assessments of blood bank evaluation forms and transfusion reactions.
- Develop the skills to perform clinical consultations for apheresis patients, beginning with stem cell collections, and moving on to therapeutic apheresis procedures. Write consultation notes to document these interactions and activities.
- Write orders for upcoming apheresis procedures.
- Take 1 week of overnight call with a University of Minnesota Transfusion Medicine physician. Plan for this during week 3 or 4 of the acting internship.
- Seek out independent learning on transfusion medicine topics. Physical textbooks are available onsite; additional suggestions for online materials and resources can also be made available.
View site addresses by clicking on the site name below or visiting the site codes table.
Students go to all sites
Required session attendance: Daily Blood Bank Huddle call, Tuesday CP conference, LMP Grand Rounds (academic year only), option to join resident didactics, Coagulation Education Series, weekly Transfusion Breakfast Meeting, and weekly Transfusion didactic session
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 8:00am – 5:00pm. Students will also engage in one week of pager call.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Arranged. Please submit a request to schedule using the form linked below.
Grading Scale: P/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Course equivalency: Does not apply