Acting Internship Urological Surgery
*Note: Students must reach out to the course coordinator for approval to schedule a repeat of this course. Failure to do so could result in the student being removed from the repeat.*
Catalog Description: Advanced clinical urology rotation. Students will act as sub-interns on a busy clinical urology service. Students will participate in weekly conferences and function as an integral component of the health care team. Students will rotate at the Fairview University and VAHCS Minneapolis sites.
View site addresses by clicking on the site name below or visiting the site codes table.
Students will go to all three sites
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 6:00am-6:00pm, no call but one weekend of rounding expected
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Open to student scheduling
Course Objectives: The UROL 7500 rotation provides an opportunity for students to more thoroughly understand the subspecialty of urology and also allows the students to establish a relationship with the faculty should the student be interested in Urology as a career. Similar to the UROL 7200 the UROL 7500 course is meant to provide specialty training in urological conditions commonly encountered in the primary care setting. Emphasis will be placed on a comprehensive ambulatory clinical experience.
- List the differential diagnosis and define the initial diagnostic and management strategies for the following acute urological emergencies:
- Acute Scrotum – r/o testicular torsion
- Acute Renal colic – acute stone management
- Acute urinary retention
- List the differential diagnosis and define the initial diagnostic and management strategies for the following urological conditions:
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Urinary incontinence
- Erectile dysfunction
- Prostate cancer
- Demonstrate basic competency in the uncomplicated placement of a urethral (foley) catheter in males and females.
- Clinical assessment by faculty
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: With approval, allow up to 2 repetition(s) totalling up to 8.0 credit(s). (Allow multiple enrollments in a single term.)
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub