Acting Internship Otolaryngology
Catalog Description: This advanced elective is designed for the late third-year or early fourth-year student wanting to be competitive for residency selection. Working closely with residents, the student will have increased responsibility in patient care and management.
- UMMC-Fairview, 500 Harvard St. SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455 AND
- Clinics and Surgery Center, Ear, Nose and Throat Clinic, Floor 4, 909 Fulton St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Minneapolis Children's Minnesota Hospital, Children's ENT and Facial Plastic Surgery, Children's Specialty Center, Suite 450, 2530 Chicago Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55404
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 6:00am-6:00pm. Rounds on Saturday or Sunday morning.
Independent Learning Time: On the second Wednesday of each month and the fourth Friday of each month, medical students on the ENT service are excused at noon.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Open to student scheduling
Course Objectives: This elective will give a detailed knowledge of ENT problems, and will provide an invaluable experience of general medical problems of the head and neck region.
At the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- conduct work-ups on patients hospitalized for a variety of ENT-related problems;
- perform thorough head and neck evaluations and interpret these and other physical findings;
- order and interpret lab results and x-rays;
- perform some minor surgical procedures under direct supervision; and
- plan courses of treatment for patients with various problems.
- Clinical assessment by faculty
- 5-7 min pre-recorded video case presentation
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub