Protocol Writing Program
The Medical School Research Office is excited to announce its inaugural Protocol Writing Program! This opportunity is open to all members of our research community who would benefit from an online course focused on learning the IRB Protocol Writing process, how to navigate services at the University of Minnesota, and how to make sure that your IRB protocol pairs well with the scientific aims of your research project.
This course will be asynchronous and hosted through the UMN Training Hub. It will launch in August 2023 for all users with an x500 login, though it will mostly be focused on IRB Protocol Writing as it applies to human research at the University of Minnesota.
This program will be most valuable to research staff, junior faculty, and post-docs who haven’t had experience with submitting an IRB Protocol at the University of Minnesota yet and could benefit from some guidance and training.
Benefits of the course include the following:
- IRB protocol preparation: The course aims to address delays in the initiation of research led by new Principal Investigators (PIs) caused by poorly prepared IRB protocols.
- Streamlined Review Process: The training provided in the course will help eliminate barriers associated with poorly drafted protocols, which would streamline the IRB review process.
- Understanding of University Services: Participants will receive training on navigating the University of Minnesota services, which would improve their overall understanding of the resources available to them.
- Professional Development: This is a valuable opportunity for junior faculty and post-doctoral members to receive training and improve their skills in the protocol writing process.
The program will cover the following topics:
- Study Set-Up
- Roles & Responsibilities
- Statistics & Study Design
- Ethics, IRB, and Regulatory Considerations
- Data Storage, Security, & Privacy
- Consenting and Communication
- Facilities, Recruitment, and Budgeting
- Data, Early Communication with Collaborators, & Publishing
If you have any questions about the program or the process to apply, please reach out to Amanda Rueter (email@example.com).
Take Online Course