MD, PhD, MPH
Dr. Thyagarajan is director of the Division of Molecular Pathology and Genomics and director of the Advanced Research and Diagnostic Laboratory (ARDL). The MDL processes some 25,000 specimens annually related to inherited and infectious diseases, bone marrow engraftment, and blood and solid tumor malignancies. Thyagarajan and his MDL colleagues are implementing next-generation DNA sequencing (NGS) for diagnosing genetic disease.The MDL has the capacity to test some 5,000 genes implicated in monogenic disorders with the goal of testing all the genes in the human genome (>20,000) and has implemented DNA sequence-based tumor diagnostics. MDL clinicians have issued hundreds of patient molecular pathology reports based on individual genetic tests and expect that pace of reporting to increase as NGS technology is mainstreamed into clinical medicine. Thyagarajan's team collaborates in this effort with the University of Minnesota Genomics Center, which produces the raw sequence from DNA extracted from clinical samples, and the bioinformatics group at the Minnesota Supercomputing Center, which puts the raw sequence data in a readable format from which clinicians can interpret the diagnostic and prognostic value of genetic variants.At ARDL, Dr. Thyagarajan is principal laboratory investigator for the Hispanic Community Health Study, an NIH-funded multicenter epidemiologic study of Hispanic/Latino populations, and the NIH-funded Long Life Family Study, an international collaborative study of the genetics and familial components of exceptional survival, longevity, and healthy aging. Thyagarajan's personal research program focuses on the role of mitochondria in breast and colorectal cancer.
- Figueiredo JC, Hirsch FR, Kushi LH, Nembhard WN, Crawford JM, Mantis N, Finster L, Merin NM, Merchant A, Reckamp KL, Melmed GY, Braun J, McGovern D, Parekh S, Corley DA, Zohoori N, Amick BC, Du R, Gregersen PK, Diamond B, Taioli E, Sariol C, Espino A, Weiskopf D, Gifoni A, Brien J, Hanege W, Lipsitch M, Zidar DA, Scheck McAlearney A, Wajnberg A, LaBaer J, Yvonne Lewis E, Binder RA, Moormann AM, Forconi C, Forrester S, Batista J, Schieffelin J, Kim D, Biancon G, VanOudenhove J, Halene S, Fan R, Barouch DH, Alter G, Pinninti S, Boppana SB, Pati SK, Latting M, Karaba AH, Roback J, Sekaly R, Neish A, Brincks AM, Granger DA, Karger AB, Thyagarajan B, Thomas SN, Klein SL, Cox AL, Lucas T, Furr-Holden D, Key K, Jones N, Wrammerr J, Suthar M, Yu Wong S, Bowman NM, Simon V, Richardson LD, McBride R, Krammer F, Rana M, Kennedy J, Boehme K, Forrest C, Granger SW, Heaney CD, Knight Lapinski M, Wallet S, Baric RS, Schifanella L, Lopez M, Fernández S, Kenah E, Panchal AR, Britt WJ, Sanz I, Dhodapkar M, Ahmed R, Bartelt LA, Markmann AJ, Lin JT, Hagan RS, Wolfgang MC, Skarbinski J. Mission, organization, and future direction of the Serological Sciences Network for COVID-19 (SeroNet) epidemiologic cohort studies. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2022 Apr 27;9(6):ofac171. doi: 10.1093/ofid/ofac171.
- Karger AB, Brien JD, Christen JM, Dhakal S, Kemp TJ, Klein SL, Pinto LA, Premkumar L, Roback JD, Binder RA, Boehme KW, Boppana S, Cordon-Cardo C, Crawford JM, Daiss JL, Dupuis AP 2nd, Espino AM, Firpo-Betancourt A, Forconi C, Forrest JC, Girardin RC, Granger DA, Granger SW, Haddad NS, Heaney CD, Hunt DT, Kennedy JL, King CL, Krammer F, Kruczynski K, LaBaer J, Lee FE, Lee WT, Liu SL, Lozanski G, Lucas T, Mendu DR, Moormann AM, Murugan V, Okoye NC, Pantoja P, Payne AF, Park J, Pinninti S, Pinto AK, Pisanic N, Qiu J, Sariol CA, Simon V, Song L, Steffen TL, Stone ET, Styer LM, Suthar MS, Thomas SN, Thyagarajan B, Wajnberg A, Yates JL, Sobhani K. The Serological Sciences Network (SeroNet) for COVID-19: Depth and breadth of serology assays and plans for assay harmonization. mSphere. 2022 Jun 15:e0019322. doi: 10.1128/msphere.00193-22.
- Thomas SN, Karger AB, Altawallbeh G, Nelson KM, Jacobs DR Jr, Gorlin J, Barcelo H, Thyagarajan B. Ultrasensitive detection of salivary SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies in individuals with natural and COVID-19 vaccine-induced immunity. Sci Rep. 2022 May 25;12(1):8890. doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-12869-z.
- Mroz P, Michel S, Allen JD, Meyer T, McGonagle EJ, Carpentier R, Vecchia A, Schlichte A, Bishop JR, Dunnenberger HM, Yohe S, Thyagarajan B, Jacobson PA, Johnson SG. Development and implementation of in-house pharmacogenomic testing program at a major academic health system. Front Genet. 2021 Oct 20;12:712602. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2021.712602.
- Martinez RJ, Pankratz N, Schomaker M, Daniel J, Beckman K, Karger AB, Thyagarajan B, Ferreri P, Yohe SL, Nelson AC. Prediction of false positive SARS-CoV-2 molecular results in a high-throughput open platform system. J Mol Diagn. 2021 Jun 8:S1525-1578(21)00166-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jmoldx.2021.05.015
- Ryan J. Martinez, Qing Kang, Davis Nennig, Nathanael G. Bailey, Noah A. Brown, Bryan L. Betz, Muneesh Tewari, Bharat Thyagarajan, Veronika Bachanova, Pawel Mroz. One-Step Multiplexed Droplet Digital Polymerase Chain Reaction for Quantification of p190 BCR-ABL1 Fusion Transcript in B-Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Arch Pathol Lab Med2021; doi:https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2020-0454-OA
- Thomas SN, Altawallbeh G, Zaun CP, Pape KA, Peters JM, Titcombe PJ, Dileepan T, Rapp MJ, Bold TD, Schacker TW, Arbefeville S, Ferrieri P, Thyagarajan B, Jenkins MK, Karger AB. Initial determination of COVID-19 seroprevalence among outpatients and healthcare workers in Minnesota using a novel SARS-CoV-2 total antibody ELISA. Clin Biochem. 2021 Feb 1:S0009-9120(21)00027-8. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2021.01.010
Fellowships, Residencies, and Visiting Engagements
Address1-142 Moos Tower
515 Delaware Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455