Dr. Clohisy is a professor and chair of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Minnesota and a member of the University of Minnesota Cancer Center. He specializes in musculoskeletal oncology with a focus on both primary and metastatic cancers of bone and the management of musculoskeletal problems in hemophilia.
His clinical research focuses on the effect of surgical treatment of skeletal metastasis on health status, and he has also researched the cellular mechanisms of tumor osteolysis and mechanisms of bone cancer pain. He is committed to advancing all levels of musculoskeletal education and has interest and experience in developing both outstanding community orthopedic surgeons and orthopedic clinician scientists. His research program has had NIH funding for 23 consecutive years and he currently leads an Academic Health Center NIH training grant for graduate and past doctoral students.
Awards & Recognition
- Best Doctors in America®: 2007-2010, 2011-2012, 2013
- Mpls.St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctors:" 2009-2010, 2012-2015, 2020
- U.S. News & World Report Top Doctor: 2012
- Minnesota Monthly "Top Doctors:" 2014, 2018, 2020
- Chair of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- Elected member of the University of Minnesota Physicians (UMP) Board of Directors, serves on the UMP Executive committee and Chairs the UMP Clinical Strategies Committee
- Member, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Board Exam Committee
- Member, American Orthopaedic Association Critical Issues Committee
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Communicative Cabinet and Council on Education.
University of Minnesota
Department of Orthopedic Surgery
2450 Riverside Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55454
- Bone and Soft Tissue Neoplasms
- Mouse Genetic Engineering
- Bone Cancer Pain
- Experimental Sarcoma Models
My passion is bringing cutting-edge techniques, compassion, and hope to orthopedic oncology patients and their families. I listen to my patient’s needs and work with them to create a care plan tailored to their unique situation. I enjoy getting to know my patients and improving their quality of life.
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Musculoskeletal oncology with focus on both primary and metastatic cancers of the bone
- Management of musculoskeletal problems in hemophilia
Musculoskeletal oncology with focus on both primary and metastatic cancers of the bone; Management of musculoskeletal problems in hemophilia
University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital; University of Minnesota Medical Center