Dr. Yoon is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery and an orthopedic surgeon specializing in foot and ankle surgery. He is a graduate of the department’s orthopedic surgery residency program and completed two fellowship programs in adult reconstruction/general orthopaedic trauma, as well as foot and ankle reconstruction.
- Foot and ankle arthritis care
- Foot and ankle deformity treatment
- Lower extremity fracture care
- Hip and knee joint replacement
Awards & Recognition
- Resident Teacher of the Year Award, University of Minnesota Department of Orthopedic Surgery: 2022
- Minnesota Physician Magazine, Community Caregiver Award: 2013
- Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation Resident Award for podium presentation “Gait Analysis Comparison of Cruciate-retaining and Substituting Arthroplasties Following PCL Sacrifice,” at the Minnesota Orthopaedic Society 18th Annual Meeting: 2002
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Greer N, Yoon P, Wilt TJ, Majeski B. Orthobiologics in foot and ankle arthrodesis sites: A systematic review. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery 60(5):1029-1037, September 1, 2021.
- Herring M, Yoon P. Surgical treatment of posterior malleolus fractures and posterior fixation. Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery 17(3):141-150, September 1, 2018.
- Joglekar S, Gioe TJ, Yoon P, Schwartz MH. Gait analysis comparison of cruciate retaining and substituting TKA following PCL sacrifice. Knee 19: 279-285, 2012.
- Johnson AR, Yoon P. Limb salvage in an unstable ankle fracture of a diabetic patient with Charcot arthropathy. Foot Ankle Spec 3(4):184-9, 2010.
- Molloy AP, Myerson MS, Yoon P. Symptomatic nonunion after fracture of the calcaneum: Demographics and treatment. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 89-B(9):1218-24, 2007.
- Saleh K, Nelson C, Kassim R, Yoon P, Haas S. Total knee arthroplasty in patients on workers’ compensation: A matched cohort study with an average follow-up of 4.5 years. Journal of Arthroplasty 19(3):310-2, 2004.
- Burstein G, Yoon P, Saleh KJ. Component removal in revision total hip arthroplasty. Clinical Orthopaedics (420):48-54, 2004.
- Saleh KJ, Kassim R, Yoon P, Vorlicky LN. Complications of total hip arthroplasty. American Journal of Orthopaedics 31(8):485-8, 2002.
Non-Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Yoon P. Compartment syndrome of the foot. Techniques in Orthopedics 27(1): 58-61, 2012.
- Yoon P. Late reconstruction for sequelae of compartment syndrome. Techniques in Orthopedics 27(1): 67-74, 2012.
- Kyle RF, Yoon P. Supracondylar fractures: A hard day’s night. Orthopedics 28(9): 997-998, 2005.
- Thongtrangan I, Yoon P, Saleh KJ. Principles of revision total knee arthroplasty. Seminars in Arthroplasty 14(3):142-147, 2003.
- Kassim RA, Saleh KJ, Badra MI, Yoon P. Exposure in revision total knee arthroplasty. Seminars in Arthroplasty 14(3):148-151, 2003.
- Thongtrangan I, Yoon P, Saleh KJ. Bone reconstruction in revision total knee arthroplasty. Seminars in Arthroplasty 14(3):152-158, 2003.
- Kassim RA, Saleh KJ, Badra MI, Yoon P. Management of the patella in revision total knee arthroplasty. Seminars in Arthroplasty 14(3):164-166, 2003.
- Macari GS, Kassim RA, Yoon P, Saleh KJ. The cementless femoral stem revisited. Journal of the Southern Orthopaedic Association 12(2):83-9, 2003.
- Kassim RA, Saleh KJ, Yoon P, Macari GS, Brown G, Haas S. Varus distal femoral osteotomy. Techniques in Knee Surgery 1(1):54-9, 2002.
- Ou-Yang D, Yoon P. (2013) Tendinopathies Around the Foot and Ankle. In: Doral M., Karlsson J. (eds) Sports Injuries. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Yoon P. Calcaneus. In Gardner MJ, Siegel J (eds.): Minimally Invasive Orthopaedic Trauma, Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2013.
- Kyle RF,Haas JC, Yoon P. Periprosthetic fractures. In Wiss DA (ed.): Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Fractures, 2nd ed., Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006.
- Kassim RA, Saleh KJ, Yoon P, Haas S: Varus distal femoral osteotomy. In Cushner FD, Scuderi GR, Scott WN (eds.): Surgical Atlas of the Knee, New York, NY, Thieme, 2002.
- Yoon P, “Synergy between foot and ankle and trauma,” OTA Fracture Lines newsletter, 2013. http://issuu.com/paulhiller/docs/2012-13_ota_spring_nwsltr_prf_5?e=6447218/2306543. Last accessed Oct 16, 2021.
- Yoon P, “Technique Manual of SIGN IM Nail and Interlocking Screw System Retrocalcaneal Fusion Guide.” Surgical Implant Generation Network Online publication library, 2013. https://hub.signfracturecare.org/slides/slide/retrocalcaneal-fusion-technique-manual-13 (password available upon request.). Last accessed Feb 18, 2020.
- Foundation for Orthopaedic Trauma (FOT) Board of Directors, including former committee member, Humanitarian Committee
- Surgical Implant Generation Network (SIGN) Board of Directors
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), including former committee member, Program Committee for Trauma
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association, including former committee member, Humanitarian Committee
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society, including former committee member, Health Policy Committee
- Calcaneus fractures
- Lisfranc injuries
- Talus fractures
- Diabetic foot ulcers
- Charcot foot
My approach to patient care is to offer honesty, compassion, and a team approach to my patients. I try my best to offer treatment options rather than dictate what to do, and to include my patients in their treatment plan based on their individual needs, wishes, and goals.
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Foot and ankle arthritis care; foot and ankle deformity treatment; lower extremity (hip, femur, knee, tibia, ankle, foot) fracture care; total hip replacement and total knee replacement
University of Minnesota Medical Center
M Health Fairview Clinics & Surgery Center
909 Fulton Street SE,
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Orthopedic Surgery (4th Floor) | (612) 672-7100
University of Minnesota
Department of Orthopedic Surgery
2450 Riverside Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55454