Dr. Thomas is a clinical chemist and a faculty member of the Advanced Research and Diagnostics Laboratory (ARDL) and a member of the Masonic Cancer Center. She is also the Associate Medical Director of the West Bank Laboratory. Motivated by the growing prevalence of mass spectrometry in the clinical laboratory, Thomas applies discovery and targeted proteomics methods to elucidate the biology of ovarian cancer and analyze proteins derived from alterations in cancer genomes and related biological processes. Dr. Thomas is a member of the graduate faculty of Molecular Pharmacology and Therapeutics (MPaT); Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Biophysics; and Microbiology, Immunology and Cancer Biology (MICaB).
- Mass spectrometry
- Clinical proteomics
- Analytical chemistry
- Thomas, S.N., French, D., Jannetto, P.J., Rappold, B.A., and Clarke, W. A. Liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry for clinical diagnostics. Nat Rev Methods Primers 2, 96 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1038/s43586-022-00175-x.
- Figueiredo JC, Hirsch FR, Kushi LH,.... Karger AB, Thyagarajan B, Thomas SN, ... Skarbinski J. Mission, organization, and future direction of the Serological Sciences Network for COVID-19 (SeroNet) epidemiologic cohort studies. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2022 Apr 27;9(6):ofac171. doi: 10.1093/ofid/ofac171.
- Karger AB, Brien JD, Christen JM, Dhakal S, .... Thomas SN, Thyagarajan B, Wajnberg A, Yates JL, Sobhani K. The Serological Sciences Network (SeroNet) for COVID-19: Depth and breadth of serology assays and plans for assay harmonization. mSphere. 2022 Jun 15:e0019322. doi: 10.1128/msphere.00193-22.
- Chaudhry S, Thomas SN, Simmons GE Jr.Targeting lipid metabolism in the treatment of ovarian cancer.
Oncotarget. 2022 May 25;13:768-783. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.28241. eCollection 2022.
- Thomas SN, Karger AB, Altawallbeh G, Nelson KM, Jacobs DR Jr, Gorlin J, Barcelo H, Thyagarajan B. Ultrasensitive detection of salivary SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies in individuals with natural and COVID-19 vaccine-induced immunity. Sci Rep. 2022 May 25;12(1):8890. doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-12869-z
- Ryu J, Thomas SN. Quantitative mass spectrometry-based proteomics for biomarker development in ovarian cancer. Molecules. 2021 May 3;26(9):2674. doi: 10.3390/molecules26092674.
- Murthy V, Altawallbeh G, Larson-Nath C, Karger AB, Thomas SN. Transient hyperphosphatasemia following pediatric liver transplantation in a patient with hepatic and skeletal abnormalities. Clin Chim Acta. 2021 Apr 4:S0009-8981(21)00115-7. doi: 10.1016/j.cca.2021.03.030.