Applied Integrative and Functional Medicine
Catalog Description: During this 2-week rotation, the 3rd / 4th year student will experience how INFM is practiced in a variety of settings and in a collaborative manner. The course director is based at Whittier Clinic, and her practice is embedded within the Family Medicine Residency Program at Hennepin Healthcare, where she supervises residents. Students will have the opportunity to:
- Rotate with a chiropractor, acupuncturist and integrative physical therapists who work in a large health system;
- Rotate with MD’s practicing INFM in a large health system;
- Participate in at least 1 shared (group) medical visit conducted by one of the INFM faculty; and
- Shadow, at least 1 and up to 3, solo INFM practitioners in the Twin Cities who do not participate in insurance-based health care, and who work with patients with complex, chronic health conditions.
The student will write a reflection paper at the end of the 2-weeks, that includes both the above objectives (below) and a personal aspect (i.e.: discovery, idea, experience, self-awareness, etc.).
Sites: Assigned by course.
Required session attendance: First Monday morning 8:00-8:45 and Friday afternoon 3-4 group education/discussion.
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F 8:30-5 except one evening group visit during the rotation, with the morning off.
Direct patient care: No
Consent Requirement (arranged or open to student scheduling): Open to student scheduling
- Define and describe Integrative and Functional Medicine;
- Describe the statistics regarding usage of INFM in the US;
- Describe the various modalities, practices and practitioners that comprise INFM.
- Explain optimal interprofessional operations within integrative medicine.
- Evaluation of clinical rotations
- Participation and contribution to weekly discussion group and/or internet discussion
- End-of-course participant reflection paper – anticipated 2-4 pages. Longer if inspired.
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience: