*This course will not be offered in the 2021-2022 academic year.*
Catalog Description: Students will observe examinations of existing and newly acquired cardiovascular specimens to identify variations of specific congenital and acquired disease entities and their functional significance.
Sites: UT: United Hospital, 333 North Smith Ave., Suite 4625, St. Paul, MN
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 8:30am-4:00pm. No night or weekend assignments.
Direct patient care: No
Consent Requirement: Arranged.
Course Objectives: By the end of this rotation, students will be able to:
- observe examination of cardiovascular specimens from surgery and autopsy; and
- develop an appreciation of the various pathologic processes that underlie congenital and acquired clinical heart disease.
- review medical records and patient history in developing clinical pathologic correlations with referred cases.
- Daily participation in observing cases
- Daily attendance and participation in student teaching course
- Professionalism with staff and visiting residents/students
- Powerpoint presentation 15-20 minutes in length on a topic in cardiovascular medicine (topic to be approved by course director)
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub