Catalog Description: Most of the teaching and learning will be accomplished by daily patient care activities at one of the three affiliated hospitals. Students will participate in the regularly scheduled weekly didactic conferences in the department. Independent study is expected and encouraged. This elective will be useful to students planning a career in a primary care specialty or dermatology.
Students interested in pursuing a residency in dermatology are strongly encouraged to take the Dermatology preceptorship course as early as possible in their 3rd year of medical school training. This will allow adequate time to move on to the Advanced Dermatology course in their 4th year.
- FU: Clinics and Surgery Center, Dermatology Clinic, Floor 3, 909 Fulton St. SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455 AND Pediatric Specialty Care Explorer Clinic, 2450 Riverside Ave., Minneapolis, MN 55454
- HC: HCMC Dermatology Clinic, 716 South 7th Street, Purple Building, Minneapolis, MN 55415
- VA: MVAMC Dermatology Clinic, 1 Veterans Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55417
Required session attendance: Students are required to attend resident didactics on Wednesday and Friday afternoons and Thursday morning student lectures.
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 8:00am-5:00pm
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Open to student scheduling
Course Objectives: This course provides an opportunity for students to increase their dermatological knowledge, develop appropriate dermatological concepts, and acquire technical dermatological skills.
- to understand and use dermatologic terminology appropriately
- to be able to describe skin lesion and eruptions
- to formulate a diagnosis and differential diagnosis for common skin disorders
- to recognize and design appropriate therapeutic management for common skin disorders
Dermatologic Techniques -- The student will:
- learn to use laboratory diagnostic procedures, including microscopic examination of dermatologic preparations
become familiar with cutaneous surgical techniques, including shave and punch biopsies, curettage, cryosurgery, and electrosurgery
Dermatologic Concepts -- The student will learn:
- the relationship of skin disease to systemic illness
- the rationale of topical and systemic dermatological therapy
- Clinical Assessment
- Final Examination
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub