Catalog Description: The Division of Forensic Psychiatry specializes in providing psychiatric consultation in legal matters, both civil and criminal. Trainees with the division receive exposure to a broad array of forensic psychiatric evaluation and also learn about law and legal opinions that have shaped the legal regulation of the profession of psychiatry. Trainees also get the opportunity to write sample forensic reports as mock experts in real cases. The core competencies related to this rotation are: 1. The forensic psychiatric exam 2. Writing a forensic psychiatric report. 3. Providing expert witness testimony in Court and 4. Legal regulation of psychiatry.
View site addresses by clicking on the site name below or visiting the site codes table. Sites for this course are assigned after the drop/add deadline.
|Site Code||Site Name||Notes|
|UMMC - West Bank - East Building|
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F 8am to 5pm
Direct patient care: No
Consent Requirement: Open to student scheduling
- Trainees will explain the function of judicial systems in Minnesota by reviewing pertinent law and legal opinions.
- Trainees will use basic knowledge of legal issues related to civil commitment in Minnesota to understand and analyze the legal regulation of the profession of psychiatry.
- Trainees will shadow forensic psychiatric evaluations in real legal cases.
- Trainees will create sample forensic psychiatric reports of real cases to demonstrate familiarity with the correct structure and form.
- Trainees will attend weekly case conferences and landmark cases seminars.
- Performance assessment by faculty
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: MS4
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub