Catalog Description: Medical Informatics is the use of computer, management and information sciences to solve problems in medicine, health care delivery, and medical research. Selected readings will be available, depending on student's background, interests and training. Students will work on a project under the supervision of faculty and/or fellows in the Institute of Health Informatics. The specific project will depend on mentor availability and the student's background, interests and experience. Sample projects have included: computer-assisted education for medical students or patients, computer-based medical decision support systems, creation of clinical database management systems, statistical analysis of data from clinical records, interface design for electronic health record (EHR) systems.
View site addresses by clicking on the site name below or visiting the site codes table.
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 8:30am-5:00pm, conference schedule and self-study will be discussed. No night or weekend assignments.
Direct patient care: No
Consent Requirement: Arranged. Please submit a request to schedule using the form linked below.
Course Objectives: By the end of this rotation, students will be able to:
- describe the breadth of the discipline of clinical informatics from current literature;
- identify informatics-related areas of personal interest and relevance;
- plan, carry out, evaluate and write up an informatics research project;
- recognize problems occurring during, after implementation of clinical computer applications;
- identify avenues for possible dissemination of project;
- discuss how project can contribute to informatics research, education and practice.
- Regular attendance at worksites and conferences, as scheduled
- Supervisor Assessment of quality of independent project and report
- Professionalism in interactions with faculty, residents and staff
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub