Catalog Description: As members of the Oncology clinic team, students will do patient evaluations and followups in the oncology clinics, and participate in oncology conferences. Emphasis is on the clinical evaluation and management of new cancer patients. Special experiences may be arranged upon student request. Night call is not required.
View site address by clicking on the site name below or visiting the site codes table.
Clinics and Surgery Center - Masonic Cancer Clinic, Floor 2
|Students go to both sites|
Required session attendance: Does not apply
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: Daily morning and afternoon clinics with lectures/conferences on Friday morning.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Open to student scheduling
This elective provides a broad, basic exposure to clinical oncology. At the end of this course, the students will be able to:
- perform adequate histories and physical exams of patients with malignancy;
- generate a diagnostic differential;
- order appropriate lab and special tests to facilitate diagnosis and treatment of cancer and its complications;
- develop an understanding of the pathophysiology of cancer;
- deal with psychosocial aspects of cancer;
- identify potential toxicities of and monitor response to treatment programs for patients with malignancy.
- Clinical assessment by attending
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Course equivalency: Does not apply