Pediatric ENT Elective
Catalog Description: This rotation is geared towards those with strong interest in ENT or strong interest in Pediatrics with the objectives to improve ENT assessment of the pediatric patient and gain proficiency in head and neck exam. Reading about pertinent issues that the student is encountering in clinic, rounds or the operating room are expected.
Sites: Assigned. Students may rotate at any of the following Children's Minnesota Surgery and Outpatient ENT Clinic locations:
- Minneapolis campus--2525 Chicago Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55404
- St. Paul campus--345 North Smith Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55102
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: 50% clinic, 50% operating room. Schedule will also include daily rounds (morning and end of day) and weekly Wednesday morning case conference. No overnight or weekend call.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement (arranged or open to student scheduling): Arranged. Please contact Alex at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule.
- Be able to formulate a history, perform a basic head and neck exam in a pediatric patient
- Develop differential diagnosis and management of common pediatric ENT issues including otitis media, obstructive sleep apnea, sinusitis, and stridor with exposure to surgical management in the operating room.
- Direct observation and global performance assessment of the ability to present a pediatric ENT patient to the attending, to perform a basic pediatric head and neck exam, and develop a differential diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Students will give one 5 minute presentation during a weekly case conference over the course of the 2 week rotation. Attendance and participation in clinic and the OR will be expected as part of the summative professionalism assessment.
Grading Scale: P/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub