Catalog Description: Daily working rounds with the staff will be made, and the team will make formal rounds with the students to discuss the patients in hospital. Outpatient management of a wide variety of problems, both nephrologic and urologic, are considered in clinics held on Tuesday (all day), Wednesday, and Thursday. Students may attend conferences on selected nephrologic topics. The pediatric nephrology service has an active research program, and students may participate as they wish in these activities.
Sites: Students will go to the following sites: FU:
- University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital, 2450 Riverside Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Pediatric Specialty Care Discovery Clinic, 2512 S 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 8:00am-5:00pm. No nights or weekends.
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Open to student scheduling
Course Objectives: This course will provide students with a functional working knowledge of nephrology.
At the completion of the rotation, students should be able to:
- perform history-taking and physical examination of patients with renal disorders;
- outline and understand appropriate diagnostic procedures;
- describe the pathophysiology features of the major forms of renal disease; and
- explain the basic principles of treatment of various renal disorders.
- Clinical assessment by faculty
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub