Catalog Description: This elective will expose medical students to pediatric pathology, a diagnostic specialty that ranges broadly across anatomic and clinical pathology as these relate to children and adolescents, fetuses and infants, and pregnant women. It should prove useful to medical students interested in pediatric medicine, pediatric surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, or pathology.
View site addresses by clicking on the site name below or visiting the site codes table.
Required session attendance: Pedi tumor Board; Pedi GI Conference
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 8:30am-5:00pm; no call
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Open to student scheduling
Course Objectives: By the end of this rotation, students will be able to:
- Recognize basic patterns of gross and microscopic pathologic changes,
- Interpret surgical pathology reports critically and,
- Describe the scope and limitations of pediatric pathology and the importance of communication between diagnosticians and clinicans in the care of pediatric patients.
- Regular attendance
- Participation in conferences and discussions
- Supervisor evaluation of competency in the gross examination, prossessing and reporting of Pathology specimens
- Professionalism in interactions with faculty, staff and patients
Grading Scale: P/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Course equivalency: Does not apply