Rehabilitation Medicine for Adults - Orthopedics, Neurology
Catalog Description: This course is designed for students who are interested in pursuing residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Orthopedics, Neurology. Student-physicians will be responsible for inpatient work-ups and management as well as having the opportunity to participate in a variety of specialty clinics (EMG and Botox, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, amputee, musculoskeletal pain, cardiac rehab) and inpatient consults. Advanced students with specific interests will be encouraged to participate in designing the rotation to fit their needs. At the conclusion of the four weeks, students will be able to: Take a PM&R oriented history; Perform a physical examination with an emphasis on functional status and disability; Formulate rehabilitation goals and treatment plan. The student will present a 20 minute presentation on a rehabilitation topic to the inpatient staff at the end of the two week rotation.
View site addresses by clicking on the site name below or visiting the site codes table.
Required session attendance:
Typical weekly schedule/Delivery Mode: M-F, 8:00am-4:30pm, no weekends
Direct patient care: Yes
Consent Requirement: Open to student scheduling
Course Objectives: The student will:
- Demonstrate ability to take a PM&R oriented history
- Perform a physical examination with an emphasis functioal status and disability.
- Formulate rehabilitation goals and treatment plan
- Gain experience working with an interdisciplinary health care team and report medical aspects of care at team meetings
- Demonstrate ability to document progress notes, history and physical or consultation
- Demonstrate basic understanding of rehabilitation needs of persons with specific disease processes (TBI, SCI, stroke)
- Demonstrate understanding of concepts of disease, impairment, disability and handicap
- Brief quiz at the end of the rotation, outline of topics will be provided at the beginning of the rotation
- Clinical assessment by attending
Grading Scale: H/E/S/N
Allow repetition of course: Repetition not allowed
Limited to Student Type: No
Course equivalency: N/A
Related curricular experience:
Course evaluation: MedHub